3 Reasons Why Drinking on Valentine’s Day is a Good Idea

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

Valentine’s Day, or Single Awareness Day as some like to call it, is fast approaching, and for the last few years, I’ve paid my own very special tribute to St. Valentine’s celebratory day of love…by getting drunk. Valentine’s Day became a sort of Independence Day, when my single friends and I would get together and celebrate our freedom, shot by shot. Currently, however, I am dating somebody, which forced me to look at Valentine’s Day in a different light. Would my Feb. 14 now consist now of flowers and chocolates, as opposed to drinking games and beer bongs? After evaluating this predicament, I decided, no, it would not. I’ve compiled a list of reasons why single or taken, drinking on Valentine’s Day is still a fantastic idea:

1.  It’s a Great Excuse to Make Fun Drinks- Looking to trade the typical vodka tonic in for something fun? Of course you are. Valentine’s Day is a perfect opportunity to try all the fun drinks you’ve been wanting to make, but didn’t have the time or the excuse to do so. It’s as easy as typing “Valentine’s Day Cocktails” into Google. Make it for your friends or your significant other. And let’s be honest-when else are you going to have an excuse to make a drink like the “Agave Kiss” or the “Godiva Chocolate Martini”?

2.  Valentine Vodka- Not only does this vodka bear the name of the holiday in question, it hails from the Great Lake state. Valentine vodka has received a double gold medal for “Best Domestic Vodka-The Fifty Best”, and has been awarded gold medals by the Beverage Tasting Institute. Valentine Vodka can be found at over 1,200 bars and liquor stores throughout the state.

3.  It’s on a Thursday- Valentine’s Day this year happens to fall on a Thursday. Don’t pretend you weren’t thinking about heading to the bar anyways, now there’s a legitimate excuse! Chances are if you’re taken, you’re going to end up in a restaurant with a bunch of touchy-feely couples whose behavior is so awkward/revolting you’re going to want to head to the bar as soon as the meal’s over. And chances are if you’re single, you probably want to avoid all of the mushy Hallmark romance and get drunk anyways.

Kate Kelly is a senior at CMU studying Political Science, with minors in Spanish and Public Affairs.
Alex Puzzolo is a junior at Central Michigan University. She is majoring in Integrative Public Relations and minoring in Leadership. She is an active member in her sorority, Phi Sigma Sigma, by holding Executive Board positions. Alex is a Co-founder of the Central Michigan University chapter of Her Campus. She is from Mundelein, IL and loves to travel. She has been to multiple countries and just recently completed an internship in Ireland. An interesting fact about Alex is that she has worked in a jewelery store for the past two years and is certified member of the Gemology Institute of America.