10 Ways to Know It’s Time to Let Him Go

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C Mich chapter.

Our society has an unhealthy obsession with the idea of a perfect relationship. Day after day, we see posts of girls fawning over their significant others on social media in hopes of getting another like or the 18th comment in a row that says something to the effect of  “Oh my gosh, you guys are so cute!”

Then when our relationship hits a rocky spot or takes a turn for the worst… we panic. Rather than finding a way to pick ourselves up and move on, we instead try to overanalyze everything that went wrong. As difficult as it may be to face, life changes, people change, and therefore relationships change. And once your relationship changes, no amount of nit picking is going to put things back to the way they were. Holding onto a relationship that no longer serves the purpose of making you happy is no way to live.

Here are 10 ways you know that it’s time to let him go…

1. You run to your girl friends to complain about the current fight that you’re in and they aren’t even phased.

2. You can’t seem to hold a conversation about anything serious.

3. You can’t remember the last time he held the door open for you. (Chivalry is not dead and whether you’ve been together for two weeks or two years he should still be a gentleman!)

4. He’s the one causing your tears rather than wiping them away.

5. You feel the need to go through his phone on a daily basis…

6. You feel the need to go through his phone at all.

7. No one really knows where the two of you stand on a day-to-day basis (Are you broken up today, or madly in love?)

8. He is uninterested when you ask him a question, or just talk to him in general.

9. He avoids talking about the future or making any type of plans that aren’t within the upcoming week.

10. You spend more time trying to change him than you do appreciating him for who he is.

Moral of the story: you don’t HAVE to be in a relationship in college. Don’t get me wrong, relationships are great, and nothing is better than having someone who you can always count on to be there. However, that doesn’t mean that you should settle for less than you deserve just because it’s convenient. Stop trying to hold onto a relationship that you both know is already over because in the end things are only going to get worse!