Charleston’s Coffee Scene

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Being the average college student juggling classes, jobs, and attempting a social life, I am well aware of the magical powers in a cup of coffee. I am constantly looking forward to my next cup or finding an excuse to get something fancy from a coffee shop. Call me an addict; I’ll wear it with pride. In a city, and even just on a campus, with so many places to get that caffeine fix, where should you go? Whether you’re studying, looking for live music, or wanting to explore more of Charleston, there is plenty of coffee to go around.

Kudu Coffee

Kudu is the closest to campus, and a student favorite due to their beautiful courtyard, cute latte art, and cozy space for homework or meetings. Not only is their coffee great, but Kudu provides an assortment of drool-worthy pastries and sandwiches. In addition to being a popular place to get work done, Kudu also has live music in their courtyard a few times a week.

City Lights

This teeny shop is on Market right between King and Meeting, which is the perfect location to get away from campus without going too far. While space is limited, I’ve never had a problem getting a place to sit, and the drinks and service is too good to take a chance on missing! No need to be intimidated by hip baristas here, I’ve had friendly conversations every time I’ve gone in! And even though I’m pretty opposed to frappucinos, their coffee milkshakes are heavenly; I’m tempted to brave the cold to get one just thinking about them!

Black Tap 

Black Tap has some of the most unique espresso drinks I’ve ever seen. Take the Black Julep for example, which combines espresso with honey and mint. Even if you aren’t feeling too fancy, it’s worth the quick walk to Beaufain Street for a cup of their coffee. The interior is beautiful as well, full of natural light and hardwood, which is perfect for catching up on some reading for class!

Bakehouse

Please try to imagine something that sounds better than an iced coffee, a cupcake, and the view from the Battery… Since there obviously isn’t anything that could top that, Bakehouse on East Bay can make that fantasy a reality. While the shop has plenty of room to hang out inside, and even outdoor tables for people watching, taking your drink for a stroll along the water is the best way to unwind after a busy day of classes.

Brown’s Court

Brown’s Court is the most recently opened shop on the list and is super close for students who live around Spring and Saint Philip Street. They have room for customers both downstairs and upstairs and is a great new study spot to check out. Besides having all of our favorite espresso drinks, the real gem of Brown’s Court are their baked goods. They have fresh breads, pastries, and other goodies every day, making it the perfect stop on the way to class.

So grab your books and go become a regular at one of these local spots, I know you don’t really want to wait in that Starbucks line again.

Camilla States is a member of the class of 2015 at The College of Charleston.  She hails from the seaside town of Gloucester, Massachusetts, where she enjoys spending her summers on both land and sea.  A Communications major also pursuing a minor in Political Science, Camilla aspires for a future career in broadcast or print journalism. She is also studying Modern Standard Arabic, with hopes of one day becoming proficient in the language. From a young age, Camilla has held a fascination for world geography and foreign cultures.  She hopes to someday traverse the world, from New England to New Zealand and everywhere in between.