Alexis Armour ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at C of C chapter.

Name: Alexis ArmourYear: SophomoreMajor: CommunicationHometown: West Columbia, SC

Why did you decide to come to CofC?I’ve always loved how beautiful Charleston was even as a little girl. When I used to come up here and walk around on Market Street and see the Waterfront up close, I knew this was where I needed to be. Also, its a convenient distance away from my family back home. I have enough space for my mom not to just pop up on me whenever she feels like! 

What organizations are you involved in on campus?I am involved with CisternYard Radio, We RISE, which is a women’s empowerment group, and I am a Peer Facilitator for the school.

You have a show on CisternYard Radio, the College’s student run radio station. Can you tell us about it?My show is called In the Salon with the Gossip Goddess, hosted by yours truly. The show involves a lot of different things, primarily being a show to stay updated on pop culture and such. The show is also a way for students to take a break from the stress of college so I provide funny do’s and don’ts, and sometimes discuss beauty tips. This semester, I also introduced a segment I call “Gossip with the Guys” where I take the backseat on the show and let males on College of Charleston campus come in and kind of take over the show with whatever they have prepared. I do it once a month and so far its been successful. The guys love the opportunity!

What has it been like to be one of the flagship shows for the station? Amazing! Where do I start? The fact that I get to mentor new DJ’s this semester is one of the best feelings ever. Some of them look to me for advice on their shows which is so cool to me. Others asked to sit in on my show to see me in action. Also, having more responsibility around the station has given me more respect for the CYR staff and what they do. I even got to work with CisternYard Video to create my own promotional video for my show! I am extremely blessed to have this opportunity this semester!

What has been one of the most rewarding parts about being involved with CisternYard Radio, and CisternYard Media as a whole?One of the most rewarding parts about being with CisternYard Radio is the progress that I’ve seen myself complete over this year. In my first year of my show, I became a flagship DJ. I created a new segment for the show, I got promotional tickets for a huge concert in Charleston and was able to give them away. I also got to help direct and shoot my own promotional video in my first year. One of the most rewarding parts about being with CisternYard Media as a whole is seeing the progress that we’ve made as an organization. CisternYard Media is still, in a way, a new organization due to the fact that our organization was down for a year and just got re-launched and re-branded about two years ago. We’ve made so much progress getting our names out there since my freshman year and I couldn’t be any more proud of my title as the Sales Manager of such a wonderful organization.

Do you have any role models or people you look up to for inspiration?My mother and my two sisters. They inspire me every single day to go out and work for what you want and to never say you can’t do something or be something. They are all single mothers but continue to strive to be better than they were yesterday. God truly blessed me with the best support system he thought I deserved and I thank him everyday for that.

What personal goals do you have for yourself?For starters, I want to graduate from College of Charleston, and continue to be a role model for my beautiful niece and handsome nephew. By senior year, I want to  have at least one famous or well-known person on my show. I also want to take a trip to New York and visit all the major broadcasting networks with a resume and business cards in hand. By the age of 30, I to become a well-known name on the world wide web, and by the age of 35, I want to have my own primetime TV show. By the age of 45, I would love to become the next Oprah Winfrey and Wendy Williams.

Check out Alexis’ radio show, In the Salon with the Gossip Goddess, Wednesdays at 9 pm on CisternYard Radio!

All photos courtesy of Alexis Armour.

A v-neck enthusiast from Greenville, South Carolina, Megan Dunn is a sophomore majoring in Communication and double minoring in Creative Writing and Film Studies. Having always been interested in media, she plans on one day being the female version of Ryan Seacrest. While she’s not writing or working on her campus radio show, Megan can be found binge watching Netflix or quoting Mean Girls.