Why I Gather Fairy Tales and Not Best-Selling Novels

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Butler chapter.

When I get new books, I will always read a fairy tale collection before reading the newest best-selling novel I picked up. This is not because I’m inherently childish, far from it. Through the years, I have realized that most novels have an expiration date. It’s rare to see one that stands the test of time. They’re nice little peeks into the past but the relevance tends to fade. Especially the ones that are written today. Best selling novels are like drugs; good for a short term high but in the long run, leaves you depressed and wanting more. They also have the habit of never being picked up again when finished. While I’m the one to put it in such words, I know I’m not the only one with this opinion. I polled one of my clubs on this, and one member said she thought she only reread about 10% of the books she has read and one of the reasons she hasn’t read more is that she didn’t want the books to lose their ‘magic’.

Folktales, though, tend to never lose their magic, no matter the amount of rereads. Folktales are basically designed to weed out all the faults of the published novel. The story changes with each telling, relevant morals shifting throughout time. We get glimpses of culture that can be provided through some novels and the relevancy always stays up to date. Of course, to make money, people have to take a snapshot of the story to publish. But, unlike novels where authors struggle endlessly to make something ‘original’, the author has nothing to prove and can let their voice and their beliefs shine through in their retelling of the story. We get to marvel at the similarities and differences between the retellings and, as an added bonus, get to share the treasure with loved ones of any age. Fairy tales are meant for everyone unlike stuffy novels. Novels aim for a certain age-group, if not also gender group, while fairy tales are able to entertain all types of audiences. Because of this, you’ll be drawn to pick up the collection over and over again throughout your life, and you are fully welcome to crack the spine, fold down pages, and mark favorite passages. Your grandchildren will love to see the little notes you make! So, the next time you go hunting for books, look for a fairy tale collection that will be well-loved instead of a best-selling novel that will just be used to collect dust.

I'm a current sophomore at Butler University from Minnesota. I love my dog, writing, crime shows, and sometimes food. At the moment, I have no idea what I'm doing with my life but I've declared a major in Criminology and Psychology.
Rae Stoffel is a senior at Butler University studying Journalism with a double minor in French and strategic communications. With an affinity for iced coffee, blazers, and the worlds worst jokes, she calls herself a witty optomistic, which can be heavily reflected in her writing. Stoffel is a Chicago native looking forward to returning to the windy city post graduation.