Ten Albums That Have Shaped My Personality

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Butler chapter.

The year is 2011. You’re walking into Art Club with your friends. You’re wearing board shorts and an Aeropostale t-shirt. You pull out the drawing you’ve been working on for a few weeks and pop in your earbuds. The distinct vocals of Coldplay’s Chris Martin fill your ears. Life is simple, life is good.

Everyone has an album that defined a particular time in their life. If you’re like me, maybe you even remember specific moments according to what albums you were listening to at the time. We all know I live for nostalgia, so sometimes I like to just put on these albums so I can forget about all the stuff I have to get done in present day. (Effective for boosting your mood, but BAD NEWS for productivity.) Before I get sentimental, here’s some albums that have shaped me as a person and a few of the memories they bring to mind.  

1. Continuum – John Mayer

Second grade, the Chicago suburbs, car rides with my mom.

2. Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming – M83

Wintry drives to middle school, social studies class, reading Witch & Wizard by James Patterson.

3. Tourist History – Two Door Cinema Club

Sixth Grade, wanting to establish myself as “alternative”, playing Wii in my basement.

4. Mylo Xyloto – Coldplay

Seventh grade, Hunger Games role play groups, art club.

5. Gossamer – Passion Pit

Eighth grade, riding my bike, flights to the east coast.

6. Days are Gone – HAIM

Freshman year of high school, aesthetically pleasing Pinterest boards, thinking I was “boho.”

7. Modern Vampires of the City – Vampire Weekend

Freshman art class, finally realizing I’m not that great at art, walking home from school in the fall.

8. Within and Without – Washed Out

Studying for precalculus, relaxing by a fire, rainy weekdays.

9. When the Night – St. Lucia

Summer after my senior year, driving to meet friends, dance parties alone in my living room.

10. Sacred Hearts Club – Foster the People

My first year of college, grabbing a coffee in between classes, road trips.

Kath is a senior at Butler University and a self-identified introvert/INFJ. She's a lover of twinkly lights, christmas, cinema, music and romance. She's studying to be a high school English teacher, but her dream job is to work in a school library. She also loves hugs.
Rae Stoffel is a senior at Butler University studying Journalism with a double minor in French and strategic communications. With an affinity for iced coffee, blazers, and the worlds worst jokes, she calls herself a witty optomistic, which can be heavily reflected in her writing. Stoffel is a Chicago native looking forward to returning to the windy city post graduation.