Tea Time: “Proper English”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Butler chapter.

This tea was brewed with two hands that always could write with proper English, but sometimes chose not to.

Just because I write/ speak with slang does not mean I can’t write/speak “properly”.  Y’all really need to learn the difference between ignorance and somebody who chooses to write with colloquialisms.  A colloquialism is an informal dialect or expression that commonly derives from the region in which somebody lives or the culture in which they identify/express.  A colloquialism is not something people use when they do not know proper English. Well, I mean it could be, but that is not always the case. And when it comes to me, it is never the case.

Let me speak how I want to speak! Let’s stop acting like this entire language isn’t an arbitrarily defined social construct that is constantly being reformed. First of all, English is not a dead language. Therefore, new words can still be created. I am so tired of hearing about how my generation keeps “making up words”. Newsflash: All words were once made up.  Second of all, language is by definition a group of arbitrary noises used for communication. It’s only use is communication, so if you understand my slang enough to insult it and give me examples of “proper English” substitutes than my slang did its job, and you are being redundant.

I am convinced that the constant hate on slang/ cultural colloquialisms is just the older generation’s way of finding another excuse to say “back in my day…”, and/or individuals, with a differing culture than the speaker’s, way to intrude on spaces and dialogs not intended for them.

I know how I speak. If you can’t understand me than you were never intended to get it in the first place.  Let’s stop policing individuals on how they write/speak and start picking up useful hobbies such as, minding our own business and staying in our lane.

That’s it for this tea time folks. And don’t forget that this is a family brew so make sure to share it with any individuals that you think could use a cup of tea this early morn.

“When one is thirsty for the truth, the tea brews itself.”

Jazmine Bowens is a senior at Butler University. She is a Psychology major with a minor in Neuroscience and the Campus Corespondent for Butler University's Her Campus chapter. When she isn't in class, she's writing poetry, reading romance novels, or hanging out with her friends. Jazmine hopes to one day become an environmental lawyer and a published novelist.