The Struggles of Being Short That No One Really Talks About 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Butler chapter.

1) Not being able to reach the overhead bin on airplanes 

It’s sad, but true. 

2) Pants are always too long

You always have to either fold your pants up or get them hemmed because they’re never the perfect length when you first get them. 

3) You can swing your legs on almost any chair because they can’t touch the floor 

While this may seem fun at first, it’s not when you’re trying to move your chair forward while still being in the chair. 

4) Climbing onto counters to reach the top shelf 

No one understands that you’d rather climb onto counters to reach the top shelf than get a stool because then that’s evidence of your predicament. 

5) “Oh my god, you’re so short.” 

Yes, I know. 

6) Group pictures

If you’re not in the front, you’re not there.

7) Crowds

If you’re surrounded by people taller than you, you can’t see anything, so you don’t know where you’re going unless you catch a quick glimpse through the window between people’s heads. 

However whenever someone points out how short I am, my go to reply is Ariana Grande is my height and she’s amazing.

Mikaela loves to read, write, sing, and play piano. She also aspires to be a lawyer one day.
Rae Stoffel is a senior at Butler University studying Journalism with a double minor in French and strategic communications. With an affinity for iced coffee, blazers, and the worlds worst jokes, she calls herself a witty optomistic, which can be heavily reflected in her writing. Stoffel is a Chicago native looking forward to returning to the windy city post graduation.