On the Porch: A Sampling of Songs that Sound Like Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Butler chapter.

During the summer of 2013, my family moved into the new house we’d been building for the previous two years. That house was my parents’ dream, and the whole reason we uprooted the suburban Michigan existence we’d been living until I was in third grade and headed for the rural wasteland of central Illinois.

It’s a house situated in the middle of nowhere, expansive and perfect for entertaining guests, so long as they were willing to make the long drive across bumpy country roads. (Closest Wal-Mart: 30 minutes away. Closest shopping mall: 50 minutes.)

The piece de resistance of the new house was our wrap-around porch, where we spend most of our summer. I lay out and tan alongside my mom, both reading books or listening to podcasts. My sister and I used to throw water balloons at each other, but now we sit and have life chats. The whole family eats a dinner of grilled chicken or steak and plays ornery board games on some of the cooler nights.

The best part is the music. We’re all die hard fans of our local Peoria, Illinois rock station, 99.9 WWCT. Its selection combines the 1990s sensibilities of my parents, who have seen Pearl Jam 4 times in the last 5 years, with my sister’s taste in “videos-filmed-in-old-barns-with-string-lights” music. (You know exactly what I mean.)

The past week has been as stressful as all get out. Midterms, finalizing senior houses, pressures of club leadership, and the perpetual voluntary commitments to being a girlfriend and being a friend. Luckily, this week I get to go home. I don’t necessarily miss being in my hometown and feeling surrounded by nothing, but I often miss existing inside my family. Especially on my porch.

I’ve curated a Spotify playlist of songs that sound like home to me, titled “On the Porch.” Some old, some new. Some folksy, some twangy. All comfort. Here are a few selections.

Saturday Sun- Vance Joy

My dad will always assert that he prefers Vance Joy’s first album to Nation of Two, where this song comes from. But it sounds too much like summertime to leave off.

Hopeless Wanderer- Mumford and Sons

My sister’s obsessed with the song. I’m obsessed with the video, starring Jason Sudeikis, Jason Bateman, Ed Helms, and Will Forte. She says the video ruined the song for her. Pish posh.

Upside Down- Jack Johnson

(Gif obviously related because upside down)

My dad went through a Jack Johnson phase. I’d like to think it’s his alternative to yoga or weed.

Read My Mind- The Killers

It may not be Mr. Brightside, but it sounds great emphatically sung from atop a trampoline.

Don’t Look Back in Anger- Oasis

It may not be Wonderwall, but it sounds great emphatically sung from atop a trampoline.

Home- Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros

This is the happiest, silliest song that regularly makes me cry. Fun fact.

Make You Better- The Decemberists

And another happy-sounding song that has made me cry.

Wish I Knew You- The Revivalists

This song makes me think of a bunch of dancing skeletons. Nobody gets it. My family certainly doesn’t get it. Maybe you will.

Blame It On Me- George Ezra

My mother wanted me to marry George Ezra. Sometimes we’ll still hear this song and she’ll say, “Hey, it’s my son-in-law!” (Ditto former Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson, but he HAD to marry Ciara. Sheesh.)

Devil In Me- Anderson East

(Gif obviously related because devil)

Religious imagery makes me think of my hometown. Twangy gospel choirs make me think of my hometown. Anderson East used to date Miranda Lambert, who also makes me think of my hometown. What a beautiful cluster of association.

I wish I could talk more, but there are literally so many of these songs on this playlist. Listen to it yourself.

https://open.spotify.com/user/22jtciccbq56y7ut5irjmenjq/playlist/5jhsnse6YGXhflTFSDZTjE?si=93P1-dpnQBiiohgLEEyDZA

Kait Wilbur is an aggressively optimistic individual obsessed with sitcoms, indie music, and pop culture in general. She hails from Manito, a rural wasteland in Illinois so small and devoid of life that she took up writing to amuse herself. Kait goes to Butler University to prepare for a career in advertising, but all she really wants to do is talk about TV for a living. You can find her at any given moment with her earbuds in pretending to do homework but actually looking at surrealist memes.
Rae Stoffel is a senior at Butler University studying Journalism with a double minor in French and strategic communications. With an affinity for iced coffee, blazers, and the worlds worst jokes, she calls herself a witty optomistic, which can be heavily reflected in her writing. Stoffel is a Chicago native looking forward to returning to the windy city post graduation.