This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Butler chapter.

As hopefully everyone reading this knows, November 5 was the 2019 election. I have to say, I’m a bit disappointed. I didn’t turn 18 until July of this year, so it was my first time voting. I live just 30 minutes away from school, so I drove up to vote. I also chose to advocate for a school safety referendum for my hometown. In all, I spent the better part of two and a half hours at the polls between campaigning and voting. Now, I don’t know what polls looked like everywhere, but at my location (in a fairly large town) it was dead. So, ladies, here is what I have to say about that.

“A lot of Young People Want to Change the World, But they Don’t want to Save their Own Town”

I recently went on a service trip and this quote is something that stuck with me. One of the carpenters our group was working with said,  “a lot of young people want to change the world, but they don’t want to save their own town.” Now, I am all for changing the world. That’s my goal. But, saving the world starts with your own town. So, if nothing else, the easiest way to benefit your community is to simply use your voice and VOTE!

Stop Complaining You Don’t Like Things Happening in the Government if You aren’t Voting

I don’t understand why people complain that they don’t like things the government is doing when they are actively not using the opportunity to vote. Making improvements starts with choosing the right people to lead that process day-to-day. Use your vote to get it started in the right direction!

Literally Every Year there are More Absentee Options

Please don’t use the “I don’t live close to my voting location now that I’m in college” excuse. Every year there are a variety of additional ways to vote early and vote from out of town. This isn’t an excuse. Please just take the time to utilize these and do your part as a citizen. 

Ladies, please just get out there and vote. If nothing else, you’ll get a pretty sick sticker. Come on, it has got to be a pretty special sticker if they make you wait 18 years to get it!

Reagan is a first-year student at Butler University's Lacy School of Business. She is double majoring in Marketing and Entrepreneurship & Innovation with a minor in Political Science. Reagan fell in love with journalism while serving as a broadcast journalist for CHTV. Reagan is passionate about philanthropy and leadership, so you can find her actively involved in many organizations around campus. You can follow Reagan on instagram @reagan_markland
Rae Stoffel is a senior at Butler University studying Journalism with a double minor in French and strategic communications. With an affinity for iced coffee, blazers, and the worlds worst jokes, she calls herself a witty optomistic, which can be heavily reflected in her writing. Stoffel is a Chicago native looking forward to returning to the windy city post graduation.