diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

I Forgot It Was October

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Butler chapter.

I forgot it was October. Well, I mean I didn’t forget it was October, I just forgot that October wasn’t going to wait for me to be ready. I forgot that days were passing, and that one day very soon it wouldn’t be October anymore. I haven’t went pumpkin picking, I haven’t bought nor even thought about buying a costume, and for the first year in several years I haven’t went to a haunted house. But now it’s too late. Halloween is TUESDAY. I’m out of time. And to make matters worse, I am on duty this weekend so I can’t even make a last ditch effort to get some fun in.  I wasted this month, and to be honest, I am devastated about it.

Time has never felt so precious, yet so unattainable. Senior year has sucked the life right out of me, and now all that is left is assignments submitted at 11:59 p.m. and a constant sense of FOMO (fear of missing out). In hopes of increasing my chances of remembering November I have come up with a time management action plan.

1. A To-Do List

I am notorious for the ‘I don’t need to write that down, I’ll just remember it’ mindset.  However, I never remember it. No, I usually forget all the way up to 3 hours before the assignment is due then have to skip another class in order to finish it.

2. Avoid distractions

Even when I do make a to-do list, I rarely get the pleasure of marking the whole list off. It’s not that I can’t do the work, I just can’t do it with my friends/TV around. I know the solution to my distraction problem is the notorious science library, but the scili low key scares me a little bit. Nonetheless, I have plans on venturing into the unknown library this Monday.

3. Avoid Procrastination

Let’s say I did write the assignment down, and I also managed to get to a quiet working space, even then I oftentimes find myself on Youtube. I’m very much a ‘that sounds like future me’s problem” person.  If the test isn’t tommorow, does it really exist? If I procrastinated less, maybe just maybe, I could have made it to a haunted house this season.

4. Create habits

I hear that if you study regularly, it’ll start coming naturally. I can’t personally confirm this because I have never studied regularly, but I’d like to try it out.

5. Take time for you

I don’t usually struggle with this because I am a very self-indulgent person. However, with 20 credit hours, taking time for myself has sort of taken a back-burner. So here’s to never missing another year of haunted houses.

Jazmine Bowens is a senior at Butler University. She is a Psychology major with a minor in Neuroscience and the Campus Corespondent for Butler University's Her Campus chapter. When she isn't in class, she's writing poetry, reading romance novels, or hanging out with her friends. Jazmine hopes to one day become an environmental lawyer and a published novelist.