HCCC: Pedestrian Etiquette

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Butler chapter.

I didn’t want to have to write this article, but y’all have given me no choice. It’s time for a Her Campus Crash Course: Pedestrian Etiquette Edition.

This is ‘Merica. We walk on the right side here.

This right side rule applies to everything. When going up or down stairs with two sides, (e.g. Jordan Hall’s stairs) go up or down the right side. I will not move out of the way because you decided you were feeling the left side more.

Single file on single lane stairs.

If you are in Gallahue or any building where there is only one lane of stairs, do not walk side by side with your buddy. People are going up and down at the same time, and you are being a jerk. Stop that.

Slow walkers stay in the slow walker lane.

I get it. You aren’t wearing your fast shoes, it’s been a hard day, or maybe you’re just a slow walker. We’ve all been there. However, if you are walking slow, especially if it’s in that ten minute period in between classes, you should be walking slow behind another slow walker. I shouldn’t see 10 unrelated groups of slow walkers taking up the entire sidewalk in 2017. If there isn’t a slow walker lane yet, then congrats, you just started one. I just hope all of the other slow walkers see you and get into formation.

If you see me right behind you, keep the door open.

There is a golden rule to door holding. If the other person will be able to catch the door before it completely closes, without you holding it, you should hold it. If they are far enough to where the door would completely close before they could grab it, then keep it moving. This rule prevents you from rudely letting the door slam in someone’s face, and prevents you from causing someone to do that awkward ‘oh shit, they are holding the door for me’ jog.

I am sure there are other rules, but these are the most important ones. Remember to (passive aggressively?) share this article with your friends/peers/enemies.

Jazmine Bowens is a senior at Butler University. She is a Psychology major with a minor in Neuroscience and the Campus Corespondent for Butler University's Her Campus chapter. When she isn't in class, she's writing poetry, reading romance novels, or hanging out with her friends. Jazmine hopes to one day become an environmental lawyer and a published novelist.