This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Butler chapter.

A friend once called me out on not listening to enough female artists.Despite the percentage of women represented in the top 100 tunes climbing close to 50%, my personal library needed some diversity.

Enter: my GRL PWR playlist, a collection 3 years in the making of badass songs by badass women. Here’s just a few of my faves, plus a link to the playlist in its nearly 4 hour glory. Enjoy! (Psst, the playlist cover is from the HCXO Shop, which has tons of freebies and printables! Wow!)

https://open.spotify.com/user/rkv716/playlist/2WAZKHD6TCbAm4BdBsBEKm

Paper Planes – M.I.A.

A classic about immigration and refugees by British rapper, activist, and general badass, M.I.A.

“Everyone’s a winner, we’re making our fame / Bona fide hustler making my name”

Rescue – Yuna

This artist first made it big in her home country of Malaysia before signing with Pharrell William’s label and later receiving various awards for best R&B album.

“That girl is you, yeah / And that girl is me / That girl is stronger than the raging sea”

Hell of a Girl – Grace

This song was first released when the artist, Aussie soul singer Grace, was 19. Her cover of “You Don’t Own Me” was a number-one hit in Australia.

“Feeling good when I look in the mirror, my skies are blue / Slept all night for the first time / In months, I’m finally where I wanna be / And all my dreams are coming true”

Knock On My Door – Faouzia

This artist had won songwriting awards and had a hit single in Canada at 16. You know what I was doing at 16? Not that.

“One day your heart and your soul will be boiling with defeat / ‘Cause I’ll be ruling up on top and you’ll look up at me”

Ocean Eyes – Billie Eilish

THIS song was released when the artist was 14, which is even more insane.

“Careful creature made friends with time / You left her lonely with a diamond mind / And those ocean eyes”  

Tribe – Kim Viera

Kim started as a hopeful singer on YouTube, and this song was just featured in the latest Pitch Perfect film.

“We gonna go / Way up, way up / Like CEO”

Senior at Butler University, studying marketing. Occasional writer, constant manager of all Butler HC social media. Lover of birds, feminism, and good music. You can probably find me crying over a Tiny Kitchen video or laughing at a Vine compliation. 
Jazmine Bowens is a senior at Butler University. She is a Psychology major with a minor in Neuroscience and the Campus Corespondent for Butler University's Her Campus chapter. When she isn't in class, she's writing poetry, reading romance novels, or hanging out with her friends. Jazmine hopes to one day become an environmental lawyer and a published novelist.