This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Butler chapter.

Day 2: Jonathan (Grooming)

Welcome back, friends! Today we’re diving into our favorite grooming products and routines!

Kait: My grooming routine is super basic. I don’t like to use a lot of products in my hair or wear a lot of makeup every single day. (Big ups to my college self, as my high school self was not confident enough to do that.) The one thing I’ve become religious about is moisturizing. Every time I get out of the shower it has to happen, especially in the coldest part of winter and in the hottest part of summer. It feels especially divine after a fresh leg-shaving, but who has time for that every day?

On my face I use a super basic Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisturizer (and a Neutrogena Hydro-Boost for the especially dry spots like my eyebrows), and I use the Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion for the rest of my body, because it matches the body wash I use. Both are unscented and just enough to make me feel refreshed.

Kath: HELLO YES IT IS ME THE BEAUTY QUEEN and by “queen” I really just mean “person who gets very into beauty products” and am in no way implying that I am better at them than anyone. Beauty products make my life worth living. Let’s start with skincare. I will begin by saying that I have very weird skin. I had oily skin for a long time, went on Accutane, and now I have combination skin. But the most important things to know are that I have bad acne scarring, huge pores, a very uneven and red skin tone, and generally rough texture. In the morning, I cleanse using Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser (I only exfoliate using St. Ives Fresh Skin Apricot Scrub on MWF), tone using the Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel Toner, and moisturize using three drops of lavender oil, Glossier Priming Moisturizer, and Physician’s Formula Argan Oil. My nighttime routine is basically the same, but I replace my cleanser with Glossier Milky Jelly Cleanser and my toner with Glossier Solution.

In terms of makeup, you really don’t want to know what all I use. It’s a lot! But I’ll tell you my staples. For foundation, I use a mixture of Wet ‘n’ Wild Photo Focus and L’Oreal Infallible Fresh Wear (for the coverage, henny!). Colourpop’s Precision Brow Colour has never let me down. I don’t skimp on highlight, so I’m willing to pay the price for the Fenty Killawatt Foil Freestyle Highlighter in Sand Castle/Mint’d Mojito. Not only does this highlight make me feel like a Cool Girl, but it can be eyeshadow too! L’Oreal Lash Paradise Mascara is a good dupe for my usual favorite, Too Faced Better Than Sex. Finally, my go-to lipstick is NYX Lip Lingerie in the shade Ruffle Trim. Feel free to contact me for makeup and skincare consultations! (Not really, please don’t.)

Lauren: Being that I’m a double science major with a schedule busy enough to make most people cry, having a consistent grooming routine is something that has always been pretty difficult for me. Sometimes I end up in bed by 10:30, while others I end up believing that it’s a good night if I’m asleep by 4:00 am. But, if there’s one grooming product that I’m fiercely loyal to, it’s the Shick Silk Touch Up Razors that we received in one of our goodie boxes (#notanad). I’ve got incredibly dark, thick eyebrows. Think Cara Delevingne but much less perfectly shaped. I try to get my eyebrows waxed and shaped whenever I’m home, but sometimes just don’t have the time. I use these razors to shape my eyebrows myself until I can get home to my wax lady to get them professionally done. Without these razors, I’d look like I had one of those ugly black caterpillars that always come out in the spring had been plastered on my forehead.

Grace: Before I was used to smelling like chlorine and having burning, dry skin year round, however I quit competitive swimming and my body has thanked me. I have a pretty relaxed routine, I use Aveeno Clear Complexion Foaming Cleanser and the No7 Protect & Perfect

Intense kit. Since implementing these into my daily routine, I’ve gotten so many complements and questions on how I keep my skin so clear. The No7 kit cost major $$$ however I got this as a Christmas gift from my mother and my skin is extremely grateful. Starting and ending the day with my routines gives me structure and allows me to invest time in self care everyday.

(https://www.walgreens.com/topic/brand/no7-beauty-store.jsp)

Rebecca:

I’m 22 years old and I JUST developed a skincare routine. I was a hardcore “idk, my face gets washed in the shower” type, but now I use micellar water to take off any makeup or grime, and wash (at the sink!) with Simple’s Moisturizing Facial Wash – it’s gentle and frothy and makes me feel squeaky clean without being drying. Then I get in there with moisturizer – also from Simple. In the mornings, I use a moisturizer with SPF and lately have been singing Jonathan’s sunscreen song to myself.

https://twitter.com/QueerEye/status/1109469856913453056

This routine has really helped clear up my skin, which means I feel more comfortable wearing less make-up! Yay for self confidence! I typically use a little foundation on some of my discolored spots, dust on some tinted power, and finish by filling in my brows and wearing mascara.

Rae:

There are few things in the world I love more than skincare. I’m always adding new things or switching up my routine just to try something different. The past few months I have been using the silkin’ electric cleansing brush at night and in the morning with the clean and clear morning burst face wash and the relaxing night time wash at night followed by cetaphil’s daily moisturizer. At night I have a bit more fun with my products. Twice a week I use the Body Shop’s tea tree night mask and call it a day (or night I guess) and the other days I use Roq’s 5 in 1 eye cream, rosebud sav on for my lips and any excessively dry spots, and finish off with Clean and Clear’s on the spot treatment for any stubborn zits. I’ve also been a big fan of the pimple patches lately, a friend let me test ‘em out back in October and I’ve been obsessed with them ever since.

Rae Stoffel is a senior at Butler University studying Journalism with a double minor in French and strategic communications. With an affinity for iced coffee, blazers, and the worlds worst jokes, she calls herself a witty optomistic, which can be heavily reflected in her writing. Stoffel is a Chicago native looking forward to returning to the windy city post graduation. 
Senior at Butler University, studying marketing. Occasional writer, constant manager of all Butler HC social media. Lover of birds, feminism, and good music. You can probably find me crying over a Tiny Kitchen video or laughing at a Vine compliation. 
Chicagoan • Butler Univ 2022 • PharmD/MBA dual degrees • car enthusiast • artist • freelance model • brand ambassador/rep/influencer • aspire to inspire • content creator • swammer • daughter/sister • Polish/Italian
Kait Wilbur is an aggressively optimistic individual obsessed with sitcoms, indie music, and pop culture in general. She hails from Manito, a rural wasteland in Illinois so small and devoid of life that she took up writing to amuse herself. Kait goes to Butler University to prepare for a career in advertising, but all she really wants to do is talk about TV for a living. You can find her at any given moment with her earbuds in pretending to do homework but actually looking at surrealist memes.
Kath is a senior at Butler University and a self-identified introvert/INFJ. She's a lover of twinkly lights, christmas, cinema, music and romance. She's studying to be a high school English teacher, but her dream job is to work in a school library. She also loves hugs.
Lauren Cardo

Butler '23

Hi everyone! My name is Lauren, and I'm a camera fanatic/cat lover/chemist/ extraordinaire with two degrees and a life vision. From behind the camera to behind the fume hood, you'll always find me doing something to further myself and those around me!