Black Panther: A Non-Spoiler Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Butler chapter.

If you haven’t seen it, you have no idea. Sure, you may think you have an idea, maybe you’ve read the comics, or watched the trailers a million times so you think you’re ready for the experience that is Black Panther, but you’re not.  That movie changed me. Sure, not in a big way, I didn’t leave the theater with a new major, or a new outlook on life, but it changed me nonetheless. I have no idea how white cishet people see so many superhero movies full of people that look like them, and not leave the theater on a high. I felt invincible. I felt like the only thing separating me from the characters in the film was a piece of vibranium.  It was magical. And I don’t want to accidentally take any of that magic from you so I am going to do my best to describe my experience, without taking anything away from your experience.

• The cast was beautiful

I am pansexual, and as a pansexual this movie was almost rude. Every single person was gorgeous. Every single person could have gotten the business. My God.

Angela Bassett

I’m ready to risk it all for this woman at any given time. Do you think I care about the fact that she could be my grandmother? I promise you I don’t.

Lupita Nyong’o

She had no business. No business. I’ve been peeping Lupita since she was on Lip Sync Battle.  I mean this video speaks for itself. I rest my case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh Kl axU

Danai Gurira

Baldheaded baes strike again. I’d let her tell me what to do. She is absolutely captivating in this movie. Truly life changing.

Chadwick Boseman

He was in the same frame as Michael B.Jordan and still managed to look hot, not many can say that. Chadwick makes a fine King, pun intended.  

Michael B. Jordan

If you can make that hair look good, I don’t think there is much else to be said. We been knew Michael is bae.

Winston Duke

Homeboy looking mighty thique. Oh boy. When he first came on the screen I was 10 eyeball emojis. I’m still shook. He lookin’ like he could ruin my life, and I’m feelin’ like I’d let him.

I know there’s a lot of attractive people left that I didn’t mention, but I think y’all get the point. The cast was stacked.

• Black Empowerment on 10

This movie was full of black people with different shades and backgrounds, and they were all presented in a positive, strong, and intelligent light. Our pain wasn’t used to fill a plot,  and our presence wasn’t used to meet diversity requirements. Give Black people more speaking roles #2k18. Stop making Black people sidekicks #2k18. Don’t market our pain so you seem woke #2k18.

• Women Empowerment on 10

The Dora Milaje, that is all. Women are equal to men on Wakanda, and that is extremely evident in the first ten minutes. I have never, in my life, seen so many Black women in such positive and uplifting roles in my life. They weren’t “all around good people with an attitude problem”, they weren’t “started from the bottom now I’m here”, they weren’t even “started from the top, and can’t imagine being from the bottom, gross”. No, they were well-rounded and beautifully presented. More of this. I like this.

• It’s just an all around great movie

I don’t want to say too much because I don’t want to give anything away, but y’all gotta see it. It’s so amazing. In fact, I am seeing it again next weekend. Support this amazing work and long live Wakanda.

Jazmine Bowens is a senior at Butler University. She is a Psychology major with a minor in Neuroscience and the Campus Corespondent for Butler University's Her Campus chapter. When she isn't in class, she's writing poetry, reading romance novels, or hanging out with her friends. Jazmine hopes to one day become an environmental lawyer and a published novelist.