The Best Halloween Sitcoms Episodes for Non-Horror Movie Fans

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Butler chapter.

I’ll just come right out and say it- I really don’t like horror movies.

I’m not putting my foot down and saying that nobody can like them, or even that they’re bad- I can handle the plots of a good number of horror flicks, but I always get stuck on the gore. I’m a little squeamish when it comes to that kind of stuff. Needless to say, this overarching tendency to look away and gasp makes the weeks leading up to October difficult.

If you’re the same way, I salute you, and I’m here to help. I’m a huge fan of sitcoms, and luckily for us, many produce their own hilarious Halloween episodes. That way, you can enjoy the spookiness of the season without all the cringing and panicking. This is a formal invitation to you: grab some snacks and tune in! Here are some of my favorite episodes to get you started:

1.) “Halloween” from The Office (US)

The Office has given us many fantastic Halloween episodes, but this one takes the cake. It gave us some iconic bits, like Three Hole Punch Jim and Dwight’s pumpkin head!

2.) “Keaton” from New Girl

I’ve loved this show from the moment I started watching it, and this episode’s antics and quick banter make it one to watch every October!

3.) “And Then There Was Shawn” from Boy Meets World

This one’s a little cheesier than the rest, but I have undying loyalty to this show and love how this episode in particular spoofs popular horror movies. It’s nostalgic and loveable in the way only Boy Meets World could be.

4.) “Halloween” from Frasier

Even if you’re not familiar with the characters in this show, the idea of the episode is easy to pick up on and it’s fun to watch. Misinformation and costume disasters make it absolutely hilarious!

5.) “The One With the Halloween Party” from Friends

Between the absurdly funny Halloween costumes (Ross’s Spud-nik?) and the charm that the cast of Friends compels throughout the series, this episode has become a Halloween classic.

Happy watching!

Emily Wray is a sophomore at Butler studying English and Creative Media. She loves John Hughes movies, cold brew, ABBA, podcasts, and storytelling. An Indianapolis native, you can contact her through email, social media, or by simply yelling a pop culture reference across a crowded room- she'll respond to most, if not all.
Rae Stoffel is a senior at Butler University studying Journalism with a double minor in French and strategic communications. With an affinity for iced coffee, blazers, and the worlds worst jokes, she calls herself a witty optomistic, which can be heavily reflected in her writing. Stoffel is a Chicago native looking forward to returning to the windy city post graduation.