Berenstein vs. Berenstain: The Issue With Multiple Timelines

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Butler chapter.

When I first heard about the theory of multiple timelines, I considered it just that, a theory. I thought it was kind of weird that mass groups of people could be wrong about the same thing, but I still didn’t think that it was proof of parallel universes.  That was until I realized that I was a part of the group that wrong. After that, it became very clear to see that the only possible answer was multiple timelines because there’s no way I am remembering things incorrectly.  I refuse to be gaslighted by facts.

This multiple timeline/parallel universe/ Mandela effect theory first came to my attention when my friend asked me about the little cartoon about the bear family that lived in a tree. She asked me if I remembered the show, and if so, what the name of the show was. I replied, “The Berenstein Bears,” which is the correct answer. However, apparently in this current timeline that show never existed. No, it was called “ The Berenstain Bears”. At first, I didn’t believe her, I had to Google it myself. And what do ya know…

Oh, I couldn’t believe it. But then I was like, ‘ well what are the chances that 6 year old me was paying attention to the spelling anyway. What probably happened was it was pronounced Berenstein so that’s how I remembered it retrospectively. Wrong again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJKpcfm1qD4

That is the youtube link to the theme song where the narrator very clearly says “Berenstain”. This gives me no other choice, but to conclude that there are multiple timelines and I spent my childhood in one timeline, and now I am in the other one.  I bet the other one was more vegan and liberal, and I resent being stuck in this one, but hey what can ya do?

Here’s the scary thing about this timeline theory: this goes deeper than the bears. This theory is often called the “Mandela Effect” because apparently a lot of people have memories of Nelson Mandela dying in prison, they remember the news clips, the mourning, the rioting, even the tear jerking speech made by his widow.  However, I know, and a lot of other people in this reality know, that Nelson Mandela did not die in prison, not by a long shot.  Another example, is the cute little chocolate quote said by Forrest in Forrest Gump.  “Life is like a box of chocolates.” That’s what he said. I swear that’s what he said I even remember his little southern twang he said it in. So you can imagine my surprise when I realized the real quote is, “Life was like a box of chocolates.” Are you kidding me?! There’s no way. I know it is a small difference, but I remember it so vividly. There’s only one logical answer: multiple timelines.

Anyway, what do y’all think? Are there multiple timelines? Do you remember things the way I do, or the way this reality does? Let me know!

Jazmine Bowens is a senior at Butler University. She is a Psychology major with a minor in Neuroscience and the Campus Corespondent for Butler University's Her Campus chapter. When she isn't in class, she's writing poetry, reading romance novels, or hanging out with her friends. Jazmine hopes to one day become an environmental lawyer and a published novelist.