Wellness

6 Tips So You Can Sneeze the Day: Bouncing Back from a Cold

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Butler chapter.

It is the start of October and while there are all sorts of fun fall activities, we are officially heading into cold and flu season. The worst part is that most colds don’t have a “cure” and the virus typically just needs to run its course. This is especially hard when you are sick enough to feel awful, but not to miss class. Here is a list of tips and tricks to help you bounce back from a cold!

1. Eucalyptus Essential Oil

First of all, this stuff is a miracle worker. Eucalyptus oil works wonders on relieving a sore throat and decongesting your sinuses! Personally, I like to put a few drops on my sheets and pillow at night when I’m sick to help keep my airways clear so I can sleep. I also like to put a drop or two on my neck by my throat to help relieve my sore throat. I love how this is a really natural way to treat the symptoms of a cold and it works immediately! You can get eucalyptus essential oils from most drug or grocery stores for under $5 and a little bit goes a long way so it is sure to last!

2. Tissues with Aloe and Vitamin E

Tissues with lotion in them are certainly becoming more popular in recent years and I’ve got to say they are 100% worth the upcharge. The worst part of having a cold is blowing your nose so much that you could be mistaken for Rudolf with your red nose. These tissues make blowing your nose a lot less painful and they don’t damage your skin as easily!  

3. First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream

Unfortunately, sometimes a little nose irritation is unavoidable. This skin cream is safe for sensitive skin and works really well at soothing and healing your dry skin after a cold. You can find it at cosmetic stores like Ulta and Sephora!  

4. Get Up and Move!

As it turns out, working out when you are sick is actually extremely beneficial (as long as you do not have a fever!). You may notice that standing up and walking around when you are sick can help clear your sinuses. Additionally, low exertion workouts can help to jump start your immune system and get you on track to be healthy!

5. Apple Cider Vinegar

A little bit of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water goes a long way. Apple cider vinegar is known for having a variety of health benefits, many of which are extra helpful when recovering from a cold. It helps to alleviate a sore throat, calm an upset stomach, and fight off toxins in the body. Make sure to get organic apple cider vinegar with “mother.”

6. Gatorade Zero

This stuff is awesome! Gatorade zero has the classic gatorade taste with all the electrolytes and no sugars added. Gatorade zero is refreshing and will help get you the electrolytes you need to get rid of a cold!

Well there you have it folks! Obviously make sure you are also drinking lots of water and getting enough sleep, but hopefully these tips and tricks will help you during a cold so you can stop sneezing the day and start seizing the day.

Reagan is a first-year student at Butler University's Lacy School of Business. She is double majoring in Marketing and Entrepreneurship & Innovation with a minor in Political Science. Reagan fell in love with journalism while serving as a broadcast journalist for CHTV. Reagan is passionate about philanthropy and leadership, so you can find her actively involved in many organizations around campus. You can follow Reagan on instagram @reagan_markland
Rae Stoffel is a senior at Butler University studying Journalism with a double minor in French and strategic communications. With an affinity for iced coffee, blazers, and the worlds worst jokes, she calls herself a witty optomistic, which can be heavily reflected in her writing. Stoffel is a Chicago native looking forward to returning to the windy city post graduation.