Wellness

5 Signs That it’s Time to Let Someone Out of Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Butler chapter.

We’ve all been there, people are hurting you and you are so frustrated, but you aren’t sure how to handle it. So, when is enough enough? Here are 5 signs that it’s time to let go.

1. Everything they do annoys you

This may seem like an obvious one, but too often we keep holding on to a relationship despite the fact everything about it annoys you. They might not be doing something wrong, but the mere thought of them causes you to lose your grip.

1. They try to give you permission to feel or act a certain way

There are few things that bother me more than someone saying “you can feel however you want” or something comparable. The truth, yes, you are right, I can feel how I want. Ladies, this is such a manipulative thing for people to do. Nobody is entitled enough to give you permission to feel the way you do, and when someone tries, it is manipulative and time to let them out the front door of your life.

1. They reach out randomly to say negative things

It’s one thing for an old acquaintance to reach out to say hi or check in. It is completely unacceptable for them to reach out months later to make you feel guilty or say negative things to you. 

1. They say they forgive you, but refuse to say why

This is literally sick. When people do this they are being so manipulative. If someone really forgives you, they want you to learn from your mistakes. You can’t learn from mistakes you don’t know you made though… So, when people refuse to tell you what you did wrong, or are vague and don’t provide examples, they are just trying to make you feel guilty. 

1. Everything they say is hypocritical 

When you think about what they are saying and literally none of it makes any logical sense, it’s time to let go. When people are out to be a negative presence in your life, they get so caught up in their own world that nothing really makes sense anymore. So, everything they say becomes hypocritical and twisted. One lie covers another, covers another covers another…

It certainly isn’t easy to let go, but ultimately it’s in your best interest. Too often we tell ourselves that we are to blame, we just don’t understand, or that it’s just a phase when really it’s time to get rid of the bad vibes and toxic relationship.

Reagan is a first-year student at Butler University's Lacy School of Business. She is double majoring in Marketing and Entrepreneurship & Innovation with a minor in Political Science. Reagan fell in love with journalism while serving as a broadcast journalist for CHTV. Reagan is passionate about philanthropy and leadership, so you can find her actively involved in many organizations around campus. You can follow Reagan on instagram @reagan_markland
Rae Stoffel is a senior at Butler University studying Journalism with a double minor in French and strategic communications. With an affinity for iced coffee, blazers, and the worlds worst jokes, she calls herself a witty optomistic, which can be heavily reflected in her writing. Stoffel is a Chicago native looking forward to returning to the windy city post graduation.