This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Butler chapter.

10 Tips for College 

1. Go to campus resources 

Every college campus is different but make sure you look into the resources your university has, and make good use of them. For example, my university has a writers studio, speakers lab, math lab, modern language center, and learning resource center. After all, you pay for all these services, so you might as well take advantage of them. 

2. Go to office hours 

Whether you’re struggling in a class or just getting to know your professors, go to office hours. These are required hours that your professors have to give you, so go because they’re available to help you. Getting to know them is also useful because if they write a recommendation letter for you, they’ll know you better to write more about you personally. 

3. Communicate with your roommate 

Communication is key in anything. Many times problems arise out of miscommunication and misunderstandings. If you communicate with your roommate ahead of time of any preferences you have and communicate any problems as time progresses, everything will go a lot smoother. 

4. Prioritize your grades over extracurriculars

When you get super busy with schoolwork, clubs, and organizations and are overwhelmed, prioritize your grades over extracurriculars. There might be people within the extracurricular activities pressuring you to do activities for your extracurriculars, but when it comes down to the bottom line, extracurriculars don’t feed into your grades. Your prioritization of your schoolwork will likely feed into good grades which then leads to graduating with a degree which is the primary reason for going to college. 

5. Get to know at least one person in each class 

This is helpful because whenever you have questions or anything, you’ll have someone to ask. Plus, you’ll be expanding your social circle and you’ll have someone to partner up with if you need to for an assignment. 

6. Bring your favorite snacks to college because chances are the dining hall will not have them 

This is helpful in case you’re craving something either from home or just sweet snacks that your dining hall might not have, especially if you’re in a state or area far from home that won’t have that particular food. 

7. Try to get internships

Internships show that you have an interest in the field, experience, initiative, and that you did something with your time off in the summer. This experience can also help you land a job in the future. 

8. Go to free events 

At my university, some free events are student government association (SGA) events, sporting events, visiting writers, and music events. Some SGA events include trips to Skyzone and King’s Island. Music events like an Alessia Cara concert are paid for by the university, so make sure to check out what free events your university offers because you have access to all these great and fun opportunities. 

9. Go to career fairs 

Career fairs are so helpful and useful because they let you know about all the jobs on campus as well as any internships in companies in surrounding areas. This is good for networking in general and especially if you’re a business major. 

10. Get to know people 

Genuinely get to know people, college is a unique place where there are people from so many different backgrounds and perspectives that you can either learn about or find that you have so much in common with. Also you never know when you might run into them in the future. 

Mikaela loves to read, write, sing, and play piano. She also aspires to be a lawyer one day.
Rae Stoffel is a senior at Butler University studying Journalism with a double minor in French and strategic communications. With an affinity for iced coffee, blazers, and the worlds worst jokes, she calls herself a witty optomistic, which can be heavily reflected in her writing. Stoffel is a Chicago native looking forward to returning to the windy city post graduation.