Why I Haven’t Watched My Favorite Winter Movie in a Long Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.

To start, my favorite winter season movie is Edward Scissorhands. I put this movie in the winter season catalogue because it involves Christmas in it later in the movie and starts off in a winter setting. I love Edward Scissorhands, and I have loved it since I watched it for the first time in the first grade. This movie is so brilliantly made with a great look on how a neighborhood would be in the late 80s or early 90s in a suburban community. I feel that mob mentality was depicted well. It shows how people may be okay with something different from what they’re used to until the moment comes where a mistake is made by the thing that is different, or in this case, the person that is different.

I haven’t watched Edward Scissorhands in four or five years. This is because winter time is always a difficult time of the year and that movie makes me cry so much after watching, every single time without fail. At a certain point in my life I decided to stop watching movies that make me sob uncontrollably because I don’t like that feeling- I really don’t like to cry. I haven’t watched movies like Up or Bambi in years for the same reason. This year I feel as though I should turn myself around and start watching these movies again because they are movies that I love, and Edward Scissorhands is one of my all-time favorites. Johnny Depp and Winona Ryder did an excellent job with their characters, and I should not hold myself back from witnessing their acting in that movie again.

Due to the amount of time it has been since I watched Edward Scissorhands, I can now watch it with a new perspective on life. There is a lot that I’m sure I don’t remember from the movie and that will be fun to see. There may also be aspects of the movie that I’m remembering with a different lens than what I would now, as I was in either freshman or sophomore year of high school when I last watched. I can say with certainty that I am looking forward to seeing Edward Scissorhands again.

Mia Roffman

Buffalo '25

Mia is in her first year at Her Campus and in her sophomore year at University at Buffalo. She enjoys a good adventure and spending time with friends and family.