Why Do We Enjoy Watching Horror Movies?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.

Ever since I could remember I’ve absolutely loved horror movies and T.V. shows. From watching the Iconic Goosebumps when I was younger to now recently re-watching American Horror Story, I’ve fully absorbed and relished the horror genre. Whether I’m with friends or alone, I’ve forever been drawn to sitting down and picking a horror movie to pair with a good meal. Unlike me, some of my friends hate the idea of watching horror movies. They’re frightened with even the idea of sitting through any type of gore, paranormal, slasher, or monster film. I’ve always wondered why some audiences either love or hate the idea of scary movies.

Research and experts have said there are scientific reasons as to why some individuals enjoy watching these movies. One major reason that audiences consume horror is to experience any type of stimulation. These movies can stimulate us both negatively (anxiety, fear, stress) and positively (excitement, anticipation, enjoyment). Biochemically, our bodies can experience pleasure at a frightful moment. When we watch scary movies, our nervous system’s “fight-or-flight”/fear response can be triggered and release adrenaline, which then results in rise of dopamine levels in our systems and large surges of energy. Dopamine, also known as our “happy hormone,” functions in allowing us to feel pleasure and is the primary driver of the reward system in our brain.

Some research has also indicated that those with a higher sensation-seeking trait (meaning a strong need for seeking out intense and exciting experiences) tend to also be the ones that enjoy the horror genre more. Levels of empathy can also be associated with the enjoyment of horror films. Individuals with higher levels of empathy are more likely to disapprove or feel negatively towards scary scenes and situations that may occur in these films.

According to a study published in the Journal of Media Psychology by Dr. Glenn Walters, the three main factors that make horror movies appealing to audiences are:

Tension

Some people may watch horror movies to experience the tension that builds through elements of suspense, gore, shock, and mystery. Lighting, costumes, sounds, and camera shots all can create suspense and draw in an audience for an epic reveal.

relevance

This factor can reel audiences in due to the fact of relating back to ourselves through personal relevances, cultural meaningfulness, the fear of death, etc. Finding elements one can relate to may bring interest to watching the film.

Unrealism

Lastly, people may enjoy the horror genre solely due to the reason they know it’s not real anyway. For them, the reason to watch is based on enjoyment and entertainment.

If you are one of those who love watching the horror genre or would like to try it out, here are some great suggestions you can watch today on Netflix:

• Final Destination
  • A Nightmare On Elm Street
  • The Conjuring
  • Things Heard & Seen
  • Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark
  • Hush
  • Veronica
  • Annabelle Creation
  • #Alive
  • There’s Someone Inside Your House
  • It Follows
Ayesha Khan

Buffalo '23

Ayesha is a senior majoring in Neuroscience and minoring in Asian Studies. She has a passion for all things music and enjoys singing in her free time. An Ariana Grande stan who's obsessed with aesthetics, coffee, the Bills, and her cat, Raja.