When Does the Christmas Season Officially Start?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.

Now this is the question that is constantly being asked, especially around this time of year. There are the absolute crazy Christmas nuts that start before Halloween, and others that wait until the very last minute. The main argument for not celebrating Christmas until December is that Thanksgiving is easily forgotten about. It begs the question, how do you celebrate Thanksgiving before the actual day of? Thanksgiving does not need all of Thanksgiving; it only needs that Wednesday and then Thursday. How would that even work? You hang up turkey decorations and leaves? It simply does not make sense. Thanksgiving is perfect the way it is: a one to two day celebration.

Christmas on the other hand can and should be a two month long festivity. Not just the holiday, but the vibes of it alone can be celebrated for two months straight. The twinkly lights, snow, festive scents, movies. I love it all. I personally start lighting up my Christmas-scented candles at midnight on November 1st. By the second week of November I’m lighting up the Christmas lights and putting on the Christmas movies. The day after Thanksgiving decorations are going up and I am going all out. I mean everyone who celebrates Christmas has their own way of doing it and I am not one to judge, but… I do think how I do it is the best. 

Even the queen Mariah Carey thinks that Christmas time starts November 1st. She recently posted a TikTok featuring her hit song, All I Want For Christmas is You. In that video she is smashing jack o’ lanterns and saying “it’s time.” Another example of someone celebrating Christmas at the perfect time is another queen, Linda Belcher. She puts up the Christmas tree the day after Halloween, granted, the tree did die right before Christmas. That is not the point. In conclusion, Christmas should be dragged out as long as possible for those who celebrate it.

Isabella is a Junior at University at Buffalo studying History Education and this is her second year in Her Campus. Her many passions include rainy days, reading, and hot coffee.