This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.

Recently a video went viral featuring a brutal attack of 84-year-old Vicha Ratanapakdee in San Francisco. Mr. Ratanapakdee often went on hour-long walks every morning during the pandemic and was walking in Anza Vista on the morning of January 28th when a man suddenly ran across the street and shoved him to the ground causing his head to hit the pavement. This assault caused this vulnerable, defenseless, 84 year old Thai man to never regain consciousness and winded up passing away. This crime committed was one of many anti-asian hate crimes which have been on the rise since the pandemic. Just days after Mr. Ratanapakdee’s deadly assault, in Oakland’s Chinatown a 91-year-old man, 60-year-old man, and a 55-year-old woman were all violently shoved just as Vicha Ratanapakdee was, however fortunately they all survived. For months the AAPI (Asian American and Pacific Islander) community have been battling hate crimes and it seems that the targets of most of these crimes are defenseless, and innocent elderly people. 

With the anti-asian hate crimes increase of 1900% in the United States, there are several ways you and the community can help. Several communities in fact have started to form a switch on and off shifts system to escort and guard neighborhoods with predominant asian families and especially elderlies to ensure the safety of each person. Another way the community can help is to write against racism in all forms and to speak up to help stop asian hate. You can also support your local asian buisnesses, and amplify asian artists, authors and activists by sharing their stories and work to grow their platform. Let’s end the model minority myth together by educating ourselves and using our voice and influence to #stopasianhate.

Tiffany is currently a full-time student at SUNY Buffalo majoring in biological sciences. She loves to travel, cook, paint, and go on adventures. She aspires to be a doctor one day and make the world a better place.