This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.

“Your love is a secret I’m hoping, dreaming, dying to keep.”

– “King of my Heart” (Reputation)

When it comes to songwriting, Taylor Swift is the lyrical genius of the century!

As a lover and die-hard Swifite of over 13 years, I have learned to appreciate the captivating storytelling that Swift is able to convey in her music. One of my favorite qualities about Swift’s love songs is the ability for them to possess a double meaning. It can be related to romantic relationships, platonic or family relationships.

With Valentine’s Day slowly approaching us, in no particular order, here is a curated list of 5 Taylor Swift songs to add to your Valentine’s or Galentine’s playlist this year!!

“I’M Only me when I’m with you” (soon to be Taylor’s version)

Swift dedicates this song to her hometown best friend, Abigail Anderson, who despite Swift’s colossal fame, has stayed loyal to her side. The song is featured on her self-titled album: Taylor Swift. Swift expresses a passionate and intimate love towards her friendship with Abigail in the song. My favorite line is: “And I don’t try to hide my tears, The secrets or my deepest fears, Through it, all nobody gets me like you do.” I feel that this line perfectly encapsulates when you are aware that you have made a friend for life. No matter what you are struggling with, you are always able to count on your best friend.

“FEARLESS” (Taylor’s Version)

This is without a doubt one of my favorite Taylor Swift songs EVER. Everything about this song, from the lyrics to the guitar strings. It has the ability to uplift my spirits within seconds. This song is featured in her second album: Fearless (Taylor’s Version). The song embodies what it feels like to fall in love with someone and let go of all your fears and worries about what may come of it. Swift acknowledges that falling in love with someone can be daunting but ultimately worth it. My favorite line is: “You pull me in and I’m a little more brave, It’s the first kiss, It’s flawless, really something, It’s fearless.” This line encapsulates the butterflies that you may feel when experiencing a first kiss. She also captures the essence of vulnerability that people feel when having a “first experience” with someone you love.

“How YOU get the girl” (soon to be Taylor’s Version)

One word to describe this song: ICONIC. This song is featured in her fourth album, 1989. 1989 started a pop culture phenomenon as it was her transition from country to pop. In my opinion, this song is highly underrated. It is the type of song that makes you want to dance and sing along. Swift’s intention in writing this song includes various steps on how to win a girl’s heart and keep it. My favorite line is: “I want you for worse or for better, I would wait forever and ever (ever and ever), Broke your heart, I’ll put it back together, I would wait forever and ever.” This line describes the importance of holding on and keeping your love no matter what trials and tribulations you may experience.

“SWEET NOTHING”

Swift writes this song in dedication to her long-term boyfriend, Joe Alwyn. Swift and Alwyn have been together since 2016. They have kept their relationship as private as possible, given their circumstances. This song is featured in her latest album, Midnights. Swift and Alwyn collaborated on this song and it has been speculated that “Sweet Nothing” is Alwyn’s response to Swift’s song “Peace” in her album, Folklore, where she discusses how hard it is to gain and keep trusting relationships with people and her romantic partner due to her status and fame. “Sweet Nothing” is a lullaby that embodies their love for one another. My favorite line is: “On the way home I wrote a poem, You say, ‘what a mind’ This happens all the time.” Alwyn is sharing that one of his favorite features about Swift is her ability to create words into something captivating and alluring for people to enjoy in the world. (I LOVE HIM!)

“DAYLIGHT”

This is the last song on Swift’s album, Lover. This is another song that is dedicated to Swift and Alwyn’s relationship. At the beginning of the song, Swift expresses her difficulty in finding and keeping genuine romantic partners throughout her life. She starts the song by explaining that as soon as she “found love,” it was not the love that she was longing for. Eventually, she starts to describe finding Alwyn as sort of the “light at the end of the tunnel.” My favorite line(s) stem from the bridge. Swift is known for her bridges to be the most iconic parts of her songs. It goes, “I once believed love would be (black and white), But it’s golden (golden),…I once believed love would be (Burning red).” Swift alludes to her song “Red” and implies that love is a “burning red” feeling, a tumultuous and chaotic experience. She now knows that love in all forms should make you feel safe and secure.

Obviously, Swift has a plethora of love songs to choose from! These are just the ones that stuck out to me while I was browsing her discography! Let me know your opinions below on some of Swift’s most iconic love songs!!

Hi! My name is Anna. I am currently a junior at UB studying Health and Human Services – Community Mental Health Concentration. I love romanticizing my life, reading books, and spending quality time with the people I love!