This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.

The Coronavirus has made me turn my bedroom into a place of not just relaxation, but also working. Although this seems great, it can definitely be hard to adjust doing all your work in one place. These are some of the ideas that I use to help me excel during online classes.

Calendar

Get a calendar or whiteboard and put everything on it. Homework assignments, exam dates, and presentations. I feel that a visual reminder motivates me to stay on track for all my work. I got a whiteboard for under $10 at my Target.

Pomodoro Technique

Don’t force yourself to sit at your desk all day! I find that if I don’t make some time for a break I become extremely unfocused and tired. This semester, I have been using the Pomodoro Technique. Essentially, you work on a task for 25 minutes and then take a 5 minute break which I find super helpful and allows me to finish a good amount of work.

Clean Work Area

Make your desk clean. I only let myself have my laptop and textbook on my desk to ensure I do not get distracted. Also, I light a candle to create a calm ambience while I get work done.

No Phone

The easiest, yet hardest thing is to turn off my phone. I use my phone to check something and then 2 hours go by on TikTok or Pinterest. Limiting screen time is one of the best ways to be productive in life.

These are the new methods I have used to handle online classes and hope you find some to be helpful! Continue working hard and remember you got this!

Winnie Li

Buffalo '22

Majoring in Political Science. Enjoys watching Netflix, coffee shops and traveling.