Member Monday: Interview with Ali LeCroy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.

Welcome to Member Mondays! Each Monday, one of our members will interview another one of our members and publish it to our Her Campus website. Our goal is to get our audience more aquatinted with our writers and to learn more about our interests! In this first interview, I interviewed my best friend, Ali LeCroy:

What is your role at Her Campus Buffalo?

“I am a staff writer, and I also manage Instagram and help coordinate events. It’s a lot of work, but I feel like I’m getting real job experience and I love everything about what I get to do.”

What is your favorite thing about being in Her Campus Buffalo?

“I love being able to share my writing and have an awesome network of women I can bounce ideas off of and create content with.”

Where are you from and what is one of your favorite things to do back home?

“I grew up in New York City, but I also spent a lot of time in Rockland County. My favorite thing to do in the city is walk around Nolita because there are so many cute restaurants and I am a huge foodie. When I’m in Rockland, I make sure to go to Nyack Hot Bagels and Turriellos at least once before heading back to Buffalo. I love being near the Hudson, and both places I call home are right on it!”

What’s your major at UB?

“I study Political Science on a Pre-Law track, with a minor in French and a certificate in Creative Writing.”

What are some of your all-time favorites?

“My all time favorite book and movie is Perks of Being a Wallflower. I listened to the audiobook every day for almost two years in middle school, and I have a line from it tattooed on my thigh. I am reading the author’s (Stephen Chbosky) new book Imaginary Friend right now, and it is also super good. In terms of podcasts, I am obsessed with all things Crooked Media, especially Lovett or Leave it, which I am actually seeing live with my dad next month!”

Link your favorite article that you have written for Her Campus Buffalo so far!

“The Future of Free Speech

Where is your favorite place to travel?

“I love visiting my family in France. My grandparents are from Carpentras. Some things I love about the country is the old architecture, the culture of cafes, and of course, the food. To me, my happy place is sitting at a little table with a good book and some tartine and coffee on some little street while people pass by.”

What is your dream job?

“The field of Political Science is my calling, and I hope to one day write speeches for political figures, or maybe write for a political commentary show or podcast. But, in all honestly, the thought of running for office or being a civil rights attorney has crossed my mind a few times…”

What is your all-time favorite quote?

“The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.” – John Milton

What are some of your hobbies?

“I’m not sure if this counts as a hobby but I am in a Pre-Law fraternity on campus that I really love being a part of. I also like reading and I try my best to continue reading for pleasure during the semester. I am also really into bullet journaling.”

Take this question to promote your social media!

“My Instagram is @a_lecroy and my Pinterest (which I spend an embarrassing amount of time curating) is @holyghoststoast.”

What are your tips for staying organized for school?

“Notion. Make yourself a Notion, and put everything you need to know about due dates and assignments in one place. It made my life SO much easier, and it’s also very aesthetically pleasing.”

How can someone be the best writer they could be?

“Just write. My best advice for writing is to do it. Don’t wait for ideas, don’t deliberate over whether you’re invoking a certain emotion from your reader, just put pen to paper (or finger to keyboard, I guess) and get your thoughts out. Editing is where all the other stuff comes in. In terms of writing though, it really is all about working out the muscles.”

What are your favorite foods to cook?

“I am a huge foodie, as I said, and I love cooking. If you look at my Instagram, I even have a whole highlight dedicated to stuff I’ve made. I actually wrote an article about some recipes last year if you want to check it out (here). I love cooking with shallots, green onions, sesame anything, and peppers. Together, separately, whatever, but those are my favorite ingredients. I like freshly ground pepper, and cheese graded off the block. My favorite recipe would probably be my mushroom stroganoff which I like to pair with potato gnocchi and burrata (budget permitting).”

Give advice about any subject you want!

“The best advice I ever received, and the best advice I can give, is to remember that your life belongs to you so you have to live it for yourself. The one thing we know for certain is that we exist in this present moment in these bodies we have, so embrace that.”

Katie is the president and chapter correspondent of the Her Campus Buffalo chapter and a junior at the University at Buffalo studying psychology and political science. She loves to write about current events, politics, how to manage college life, and much more! She plans on using this platform to speak her mind and make a difference at UB.