This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.

‎”In every crisis, there is a message. Crises are nature’s way of forcing change — breaking down old structures, shaking loose negative habits so that something new and better can take their place.”                                                                                                                                                                  -Susan L. Taylor

Sometimes when you love something, but it’s not right for you and you know in your heart and soul that it isn’t, it’s time to let it go. Some things are worth fighting for and some things just don’t deserve your time, strength, or energy. The exhausting part is knowing when it’s worth it and when it’s not. People always say to pick and choose your battles, and I am starting to think that they are right. On the other hand, I like to believe that the little things matter, that they are just as important as the big things.  But not everything in life should be this constant conflict. It makes life unnecessarily difficult when you live that way. So again pick the things that are truly and ultimately important to you. No matter what anyone says or believes. You know what’s best for you, and here are some of my tips on choosing:

Worth it

• Brings you closer to your “purpose in life”

• Makes you happy  (not just present happiness but long-lasting happiness) 

• Makes you excited every time you wake up or think about it

• Makes you more mindful and grateful throughout your daily life

• Make money (but money is just a human construct and isn’t everything but don’t get me started on that)

• You’ll feel it

Not Worth It

• Depletes your mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual health (trust me on this, the balance of these four things is ESSENTIAL for “happiness” )

• Does nothing but make you cry  (and not happy tears)

• Get in trouble in the eyes of the law ( but the law is also extremely unfair and unjust but again don’t get me started on that)

• You’ll feel it 

Tips for Life: Trust your intuition, don’t let fear and anxiety cloud it. Do the things that make you happy. Find something new. Go somewhere new. Try a new food.  Engage in deep conversations. Do something that sparks the life back into you; something that makes you smile the way you used to before the world got its claws deep into your skin. Hold onto that and don’t let it go. Savor each and every moment that it brings you because, these days, real untainted joy is hard to come by.

Kayla Dunn

Buffalo '21

Hola! My name is Kayla Dunn. I'm a junior here at University at Buffalo. Some of my hobbies include dancing, cheerleading, and reading books.