This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.

Lately, I feel like the only musician I’ve been listening to is Anderson Paak. If you’ve never heard of him before, here’s a bit of an introduction!

Anderson Paak is one of the most unique artists that I’ve heard recently. His music blends hip hop and R&B sounds with heavy funk and soul influences. He also started his music career as a drummer, which gives his songs an interesting percussion element that is guaranteed to be different than any typical trap beat you’ve heard lately.

His live performances are second to none. His NPR Tiny Desk concert is the most viewed on the NPR Music YouTube channel, and with good reason. Paak is insanely charismatic, with the most infectious smile you’ve ever seen. Both him and his incredible band (The Free Nationals) are beyond talented musicians. Their live performances really help you appreciate each instrument that contributes to his songs.

His most recent album, Ventura, is some of his best work to date. It’s full of nostalgic sounding beats (which were produced with some help from Dr. Dre) and smooth vocals, both from Paak and some incredible featured artists, like Smokey Robinson.

Overall, I think Anderson Paak makes music that absolutely anyone can enjoy. If he ever comes to your city, be sure to check out one of his shows!