This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.

Going for a job interview can be nerve wracking especially if you’re inexperienced. Here are some tips and tricks to make sure that you make a good impression!

1. Be aware of your outfits. Color choices can heavily impact the way that you’re perceived in an interview. Try wearing red, the color of attraction and power, or maybe blue, which represents trust and openness.

2. Make eye contact. It’s sometimes intimidating when you try going into an interview and you’re not sure of what to expect. Maintaining eye contact is crucial to letting your employer know that you’re engaged in the interview.

3. Have your resume reviewed. A lot of employers don’t want to look at more than a page and they don’t want to have to spend time figuring out what you mean. Make sure that your resume is organized, concise and well-written.

4. Have good references. A good reference could end up proving to be an incredibly useful connection that could end up helping you land a job.

5. Be clear in your interview questions. Seeming to be jumped or overly detailed can bore an employer and can make it seem like you might not be a good fit for the company. Choose your words, expressions, pronouns, and language carefully.

Good luck ladies!

Nancy Acosta

Buffalo '20

Nancy is currently a Junior here at the University at Buffalo and is Campus Correspondent for the UBHC Chapter. She is majoring in Communications with a dual minor in International Trade/Geography and Political Science.