This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.
NARROW DOWN YOUR LIST

I would recommend creating a spreadsheet for this first step. Remember, this is a place you’re going to spend a considerable amount of time in, whether you’re applying to a program that’s one or even six years. That means you need to consider several factors, such as location, class size, tuition, program ranking, and employment statistics. In doing so, you might even learn something new about yourself. For example, when I was applying to optometry school, I realized I like a bigger class size and want to live someplace warm. Also, application fees can add up quickly, so choose wisely. Just to put it in perspective, I applied to 11 schools, which racked up almost $1,000. You can check if any schools offer application fee waivers, though they may be limited and competitive.

TAKE ANY PENDING PREREQUISITES

Hopefully, you’ve already been thinking about this when creating your class schedule each semester. Schools will notify you of any pending prerequisites when they inform you of an acceptance, but you want to have a majority of these courses out of the way before you even apply. Every school is different, too. Some schools may require a course, while others just recommend it. Basically, do your research.

If the program also requires applicants to take an admissions test – like the MCAT, LSAT, OAT, or GRE – allow yourself at least three to six months of time to prepare for it. I began studying for my OAT in June and took the test in Oct. Don’t stress if you don’t get the score you want, either. A test score is just one part of your overall application. It does not paint the whole picture of who you are as a candidate. Talk to an advisor about possible next steps, such as retaking the test. If you opt for a retake, you may still be able to apply to schools, but make sure to indicate what date you are planning to retake the test and send those scores over as soon as you get them.

CHECK OUT DEADLINES

This is another thing to stay on top of. Look into whether the schools you’re applying to have a rolling admissions, regular decision or early decision policy. Even if a school has a rolling admissions policy, aim to get your application in early. After speaking to my advisor, I submitted at the end of Oct. and started hearing back a week later from schools.

gather letters of recommendation

For this, you want to reach out to people you’ve interacted with in professional settings. I asked the professor I was a teaching assistant for, a volunteer coordinator, one doctor I work with and another I shadowed under. Make sure you provide letter writers with your resume and inform them of any submission deadlines. The Prehealth Committee at my school took my four letters and created one composite letter to send to schools. If your school offers anything like that, take advantage of it. That was one stress taken off my shoulders very early on. Send thank you notes afterward so they know you appreciated this favor and keep them updated on your admissions process as well, since they’re playing a crucial part in it.

write a fire personal statement

The personal statement is a great chance to really let your personality shine through. Admission committees read hundreds of these every year, so avoid cliches and stereotypes. For example, if you’re applying to medical school, don’t just say you want to help people. There are other ways to express empathy on the page. When you’re writing a personal statement, sometimes it helps to be… well, personal. The beginning is where you hook the reader in, so try to include a funny anecdote or memory. I started off my personal statement describing the first time I was told I needed glasses in elementary school. Speak on formative experiences that really solidified your decision to go into the field or any “Ah-Ha” moments. And of course, make sure your personal statement falls within any word or character limits provided by schools.

NAIL THE INTERVIEW

Take a deep breath! You’ve come this far. Clearly, the admissions committee liked something about you as an applicant. Now it’s just about wowing them with your passion and knowledge of the field. Make sure to highlight unique experiences like shadowing, volunteering and extracurriculars. You can talk about hobbies, too, even if they don’t relate to the field you’re entering. Funny enough, several of my interviews included conversations about my writing for Her Campus! Interviewers like to see a well-rounded applicant, and if you mention other interests, they’ll know you have a good support system to fall back on when you’re struggling.

If the interview is open-file, be prepared to explain any weaknesses in your application. I was asked to talk about a class I retook over the summer, as well as a low physics score on my OAT. Most of the interviews I had this year were conducted virtually, but dressing for success is still a key. If you’re provided the name of your interviewer beforehand, research the individual so you can connect over their academic background or any shared interests.

Lastly, have a vision for yourself 10 years from now. It’s okay if it doesn’t feel totally accurate. Just make sure they know you’ve thought about the big picture. Send thank you notes after and include specifics from your conversation so they remember you as a candidate.

Best of luck to anyone going through the admissions process. You’re a very capable candidate, and you got this!

Heraa Arshad

Buffalo '23

Heraa is a senior psychology major who loves to write book and film reviews! She also runs a Tiktok account (@heraa_reads) where she posts more bookish opinions and tries to convince everyone to read her favorite titles.