Exploring The Psychological Motives Of The Show ‘YOU’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.

The show YOU has captured the attention of audiences worldwide with its thrilling storyline, complex characters and haunting themes. However, beyond the surface-level excitement and suspense lies a deeper psychological exploration of obsession, manipulation and the dangerous consequences of toxic relationships.

At the center of the show is the character Joe Goldberg, a seemingly charming bookstore manager who becomes fixated on a customer named Beck. Through his meticulous and invasive behavior, Goldberg slowly manipulates Beck into falling in love with him, leading to a dangerous and obsessive relationship that threatens the lives of those around him.

Goldberg’s behavior can be seen as a manifestation of several psychological disorders, including stalking, narcissistic personality disorder and antisocial personality disorder. His fixation on Beck and his need to control every aspect of her life is a clear example of stalking behavior, while his sense of self and lack of empathy for others point toward a narcissistic personality disorder. Also, his willingness to engage in deceitful and harmful behavior, despite the consequences, suggests he may have an antisocial personality disorder.

The show also explores the psychological toll that toxic relationships can take on their victims. Beck’s gradual unraveling and her struggle to remove herself from Goldberg’s grasp is a common experience for those who have been in abusive relationships. The manipulation and emotional manipulation used by Goldberg can lead to feelings of worthlessness and self-doubt, making it difficult for Beck to break free from the relationship.

The show highlights the dangers of online dating and the ease with which people can create false identities and manipulate others through the internet. It serves as a cautionary tale about the importance of being cautious and discerning when it comes to forming relationships online.

YOU is not just a thrilling show, but it also provides a psychological exploration of the consequences of toxic relationships, stalking behavior and the dangers of online dating. The show highlights the importance of being aware of these issues and seeking help if one finds themselves in a similar situation. It serves as a reminder to always be observant and to trust our instincts when it comes to relationships, both online and offline.

If you or someone you know is in an abusive or toxic relationship, it is important to reach out for help. Here are some hotlines that can provide support and resources:

National Domestic Violence Hotline

Call 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or chat online at thehotline.org. They provide 24/7 confidential support for those experiencing domestic violence, as well as resources for friends and family.

National Dating Abuse Helpline

Call 1-866-331-9474 or chat online at loveisrespect.org. This helpline offers support for individuals experiencing dating abuse, including emotional and physical abuse.

The National Sexual Assault Hotline

Call 1-800-656-HOPE (4673) or chat online at rainn.org. This helpline provides confidential support for survivors of sexual assault and their loved ones.

Alisha Khan

Buffalo '23

Alisha Khan is a senior, she is currently majoring in Biomedical Science. She is on the Pre-med track and eventually, she would like to go to Medical School and pursue a career in the medical field. She enjoys spending time with her friends and family, as well as watching Netflix in her free time.