This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.

The rise of Tiktok and other social media platforms has led to a rise in skincare routines becoming the new trend. Everyone shares different skincare routines, and products always vary. So what are the proper steps to a daily skincare routine? What products should you avoid? 

Step One: Cleanse Away

The first step of a daily skincare routine is to wash your face by using a cleanser. Your daily cleanser type should be the right formula that will clean your skin without stripping the healthy oils. Avoid using exfoliating scrubs so often and limit it to once a week. Avoid scrubs with walnut shells, and it should not feel scratchy because it can cause micro-tears in the skin, which gradually weaken the skin, making your skin more prone to being dry, red, and increase insensitivity. Avoid natural or synthetic fragrances as well. 

– If your skin type is oily/acne-prone: Try the CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser

– If your skin type is more dry: Try the CreaVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser

Step Two: Tone it Up 

A toner preps the skin for serums and moisturizers, which are the two last steps of a daily skincare routine. Toner also removes excess oil and dirt or makeup leftover on your face after you cleanse it. The best way to apply toner is by soaking a cotton pad and wiping your face and neck with it, or the more eco-friendly way would be placing a few drops in your palms and pressing it into your face and neck, careful not to get it in or around your eyes. Some of the ingredients you may want to seek in your toners are:

– Hyaluronic acid to boost hydration, which will reduce the appearance of wrinkles, and keep your skin looking youthful.

– Rosewater and green tea/aloe vera will calm irritation while reducing redness by anti-inflammatory effects.

– Vitamin E to fight daily exposure to harmful chemicals and/or UV rays that age your skin.

Step Three: Serum Treatments

Serums are filled with concentrated doses of ingredients made to target your specific skin concerns. Some serums are best used in the mornings and others at night. Make sure to research your serums to see if they cannot be combined with certain ingredients.

– Vitamin C serum helps to decrease dark spots/hyperpigmentation, it evens out your skin tone, and promotes collagen production which prevents fine lines and wrinkles (CeraVe has a great vitamin C serum).

– Niacinamide serums shrink large pores and reduce the appearances of skin blemishes. This active ingredient also helps moisture retention, keeps your skin firm and healthy, and protects the skin against sun damage (The Ordinary Niacinamide serum is a great product and it’s on the affordable side).

– Retinol, Vitamin B3, and Peptide serums encourage the production of collagen and elastin which prevents skin sagging and prevent wrinkles as well (The Ordinary is a great brand for serums on the affordable side).

Step Four: Blockin’ Out the Rays with SPF

This step of building a daily skincare routine is sunscreen. With sunscreen, there is a chemical or a cream/lotion-based formula. If using a chemical sunscreen, it should be put on before your moisturizer to allow the skin to absorb. If you are using a cream or lotion-base, then apply it after moisturizer, which will then be your step five. Sunscreen reduces the risk of skin cancer and slows premature aging. Try and use a sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher.

– For dry skin, try to look for a sunscreen with hydrating ingredients like ceramides or hyaluronic acid. Try the Aveeno Protect+Hydrate Face Sunscreen Lotion SPF 50.

– For oily skin, try and use a sunscreen with a gel-formula and, or a matte finish to prevent the skin from looking shiny or greasy. Try the Neutrogena Clear Face Liquid Lotion Sunscreen SPF 55.

Step Five: Moisturize, Moisturize, Moisturize

The final step of building a daily skincare routine is moisturizer. Hydration of the skin is for everyone, no matter the skin type. It is a must as the skin loses the ability to retain moisture with age. Daily factors such as washing your face may strip your natural oils and hydration of your skin, which is why it is important to moisturize at the end of your skincare routine. Depending on your skin type there are certain moisturize formulas that work the best:

– For oily skin, a gel moisturizer is usually water-based, lightweight, and quickly absorbed by the skin. Try the Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream.

– For normal to combination skin, a lotion is the best formula. Try the CeraVe Daily Moisturizing Lotion.

– For dry skin, it is better to use a cream that is more oil-based to provide extra hydration. Try the First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream Intense Hydration.

As you build your own skincare routine to target your personal skin concerns, remember to research your products and ingredients. Always avoid fragrances (natural or synthetic) because oftentimes in skincare these fragrances contain toxic chemicals which can be harmful by causing toxic hormonal effects, skin irritation, or even cancer. Avoid skincare products with scratchy particles at all times to prevent micro-tears in the skin, which will weaken the skin’s barrier over time. A skincare routine is personal and it takes time to curate the best fit for you, so be patient. Skincare routines also don’t often show results immediately but with continuous usage for about 6 weeks, so allow time to pass before deciding whether a product is or is not working for you.

Tiffany is currently a full-time student majoring in biological sciences. She loves to travel, cook, paint, and go on adventures. She aspires to become a doctor and make the world a better place.