This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.

As Valentine’s Day approaches, many people are turning to romantic movies and T.V. shows to get into the holiday spirit. From classics to modern day rom-coms, there are hundreds of options to choose from – yet there is an issue within this genre. There is a lack of representation within the black community.  Love between black people in the media is portrayed in different ways than the non-black portrayal of love. 

Colorism

Representation in the media has come a long way when it comes to minority representation and acknowledgement – yet there is still an issue that prevails. Majority of the black representation portrays some type of interracial relationship, and even this is problematic because the only two races that are even shown are black and white – with no regard to other interracial relationships.

Most of the leading characters fit a certain look as well – being lighter skinned, having more curls than coils, etc. These leading characters who benefit from colorism are portrayed as deserving of love, compared to their darker counterparts (example: Gina and Pam from Martin, Penny Proud and Dijonay from The Proud Family, etc). These are just some of the issues of colorism within the media that are worth acknowledging and changing. 

Pain

Black love in the media is always portrayed with some type of pain. There is dysfunction within any relationship, but whenever a black love story is told there is some type of recurring message that can cause an issue within the black community’s perception of a relationship. Cheating, scandals, baby mother drama – the list goes on. Many are afraid to get into relationships because of constantly seeing the negative. We should try to switch that narrative.

The Ride-or-Die

This stereotype can be seen in movies, T.V. shows, music, and more. This term is so embedded within the black community that there are some people who aspire to become one. The ride-or-die phenomenon is when women are expected to stick by their partner no matter what the partner puts them through – even if it might hurt them at the same time. Portraying black women as loyal to their man no matter what creates a negative image and applies pressure to a woman to stay in a toxic relationship.

The Unlovable

This stereotype can also stem from colorism – being that most of the women that portray this in the media are of darker skin. This stereotype ties into the “angry black woman” stereotype where the woman is portrayed as strong, independant, unlovable, and more. This stereotype is very prominent in the media, especially when darker skinned black women are playing the roles. It is very damaging and ruins how people within the black community see a relationship with each other.

Recommendations

To fight the misrepresentation and to promote what black love actually looks like, here are some recommendations to movies, T.V. shows, etc. that will help restore the original view on what a beautiful and strong black relationship looks like.

“The Photograph” – 2020

“Queen and Slim” – 2019

“If Beale Street Could Talk” – 2018

“Moonlight” – 2016

“Think Like a Man” – 2012

… and my ultimate favorite, “Love & Basketball” – 2000

Kiana Hodge

Buffalo '23

Kiana Hodge. University at Buffalo class of 2023. Majoring in Legal Studies and in the Journalism Certificate Program.