5 Ways to Overcome Seasonal Depression at College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.

With the start of October, and the weather on the decline, it’s easy to want to crawl into your bed and watch Netflix all day. Especially as a college student, there is a likelihood you will face seasonal depression through the fall and winter. Seasonal depression, also known as Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), can be suffocating and consuming. Trying to get homework done, study, or spending time with friends can begin to feel difficult. The fall and the winter can affect everyone differently, these are just some ways that help me overcome the gloominess! 

Below are 5 ways that I cope with seasonal depression as a college student:

• Grab a coffee at Starbucks 

Sometimes leaving my comfortable bed is a hassle, but a coffee always makes me feel better. Starbucks has a welcoming environment where I can do homework, meet up with friends, or just enjoy my latte. Stopping at Starbucks is extra rewarding during this time of year because who doesn’t love pumpkin spice?

• Doing yoga 

Despite the size of my dorm room, I always have a yoga mat available that I can quickly roll out onto the ground. Often, it is stressful trying to make it to the gym during the fall and winter, but yoga is a quick and easy exercise that is accessible wherever, whenever. A simple stretch or breathing exercise can calm your mind and help you through the day, I know it helps me! 

• Using a planner 

I bet most of you have a planner, but if you don’t, I suggest you get one! I find it super easy to forget tasks or events that I have during the fall and winter because I am too busy drinking hot cocoa and watching movies. But, having a planner or calendar can help you feel organized and in control. Seasonal depression may feel like it is starting to control your life, but a planner can help you dominate sadness and the season!

• Listening to music 

Personally, I usually listen to music while walking to class or in the shower, but during the fall and the winter I find myself constantly blasting my speaker! Music definitely makes me feel happier, more awake, and more alert. A little dance party is good for the soul! Blast your speaker for a song or two, just be careful not to wake up your roommates!

• Fall/Winter fashion 

I am truly obsessed with fashion in the fall and the winter: vests, Uggs, scarves, ugh! Truthfully, it is easy to wear sweatpants and a sweatshirt when it is cold outside, but something about engaging in fall and winter fashion makes me feel better! A simple sweater can help me feel more confident in myself. Dressing up definitely helps me feel better, maybe it will help you too!

Kate Duryea

Buffalo '25

Kate is a sophomore at the University at Buffalo. She majors in Biological Sciences. Some of her favorite hobbies include watching movies, hanging out with friends, and self care. She is a Gemini sun, Pisces moon, Leo rising.