This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.

Do you have any plans for Saint Patrick’s Day?  Whether you’re just planning on hanging out with friends or are hosting a party, you can make these yummy Saint Patrick’s Day treats!  They are all Saint Patrick’s Day themed and will help you get more in the spirit for the holiday.

1. Homemade Shamrock Shake

This sweet is a good alternative if you want to make a lot of shakes but don’t want to waste money buying them at McDonald’s!  What you will need is:

2. Shamrock shaped cookies

These cookies are so cute and very festive for Saint Patrick’s Day!  The best part is you can decorate them however you would like.

• 1 cup of shortening

• 1 cup of confectioners’ sugar

• 1 large egg

• 1 teaspoon of peppermint extract

• 2 and ½ cups of all-purpose flour

• 1 teaspoon of salt

• Green paste and food coloring

• Green colored sugar (optional)

• Go to https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/shamrock-cookies/ for more baking information!  The total time to make this is about thirty minutes.

3. Grasshopper bars

These bars are very festive and have a cookie base, a thick frosting on top of the cookie, and a glaze!  They take a bit longer to make, but it’s totally worth it.

• For the bars:

• 1 pouch of Betty Crocker double chocolate chunk mix

• ⅓ vegetable oil

• 2 tablespoons of water

• 1 egg

• For the frosting:

• 3 cups of powdered sugar

• 1 package of cream cheese, softened

• ¼ cup of butter, softened

• 2  tablespoons of milk

• ¼ teaspoon of mint extract

• 3-4 drops of green food coloring

• Glaze:

• 1 ounce of unsweetened baking chocolate

• 1 tablespoon of butter

• Go to https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/easy-grasshopper-bars/4a95b06b-b11a-4598-834c-9884275aada7 for more baking information.  This recipe takes about 70 minutes to make.

4. Green velvet cupcakes

These cupcakes are very festive and you can use your creativity to decorate them however you would like.

• 1 and ½ cups of cake flour

• 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder

• 1 teaspoon of baking powder

• ¼ teaspoon of baking soda

• ¼ teaspoon of salt

• 2 large eggs

• ¾ cup of granulated sugar

• 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract

• ½ cup of unsalted butter, melted

• ½ cup of greek yogurt

• 1 teaspoon of distilled white vinegar

• Green food coloring

• For the frosting:

• 1 cup of cream cheese, softened

• ½ cup of unsalted butter, softened

• 5 cups of icing/powdered sugar

• 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract

• For more baking information, go to https://marshasbakingaddiction.com/green-velvet-cupcakes/

5. Green matcha popcorn

Lastly, there is green matcha popcorn!  This makes the popcorn look green, which is very festive for this given occasion.

I hope these festive treats are delicious and fun to make for you and your friends, enjoy and have a Happy Saint Patrick’s Day!

Katie is the president and chapter correspondent of the Her Campus Buffalo chapter and a junior at the University at Buffalo studying psychology and political science. She loves to write about current events, politics, how to manage college life, and much more! She plans on using this platform to speak her mind and make a difference at UB.