This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.

1. Skipping Sunscreen 

Living in Buffalo my entire life and only spending time in the sun for about three months out of the year, has unfortunately skewed how often I apply sunscreen. I have learned the hard way though, to say the least. I personally rarely burn, so during my spring break vacation this year in Florida I didn’t even think twice when I didn’t apply sunscreen and let me tell you, I paid the price for that one. Even if you’re not spending much time in the sun, you should never leave the house without sunscreen, whether you’re wearing makeup or not. They are plenty of foundations that have just enough SPF in them to keep your skin protected from the sun.

2. Always Showering in the Morning

This is something I used to do every day. Showering in the morning may make you feel as though your skin feels fresh and clean for the day, but this common routine can be harmful to your skin. Showering at night can help better your sleep while keeping your sheets cleaner. By showering at night and washing all of the dirt and oil that have collected on your skin throughout the day, you’ll be better able to sleep, while keeping your sheets clean, ultimately keeping your skin healthier and free of impurities.

3. Drinking Too Much

I know we all wish that alcohol didn’t effect the health of your skin. I mean, don’t they always say that a glass of red wine a day is good for you? Well, when it comes to skincare, alcohol consumption should be cut down to a minimum. Excessive alcohol intake can dehydrate your skin and steal the electrolytes your skin needs to stay clear and hydrated. Of course, we all have those girls’ nights out, where it seems like those shots or fruity drinks never stop coming. But, in between drinks, try to squeeze in a glass of water to ensure your skin is receiving the hydration it needs. Even if you don’t feel so hot the next day, it doesn’t mean your skin has to suffer!

4. Sleeping with Makeup On

This is the most important habit to break! I seriously cannot stress this enough. I have yelled at so many of my friends who tell me they sleep with their makeup on. Whenever I fall asleep with makeup on for even a minute, I can feel my skin breaking out, I wish I was exaggerating. No matter how tired you may be, taking off your makeup at night is a must. After a long day of wearing makeup, make sure you give your skin a break and remove any makeup you had on during the day, before you snuggle up into bed!

5. Not Changing Your Products Frequently Enough

All of us have our “holy grail” products, and even though it seems like it takes forever to find a product that actually works for your skin, you have to make sure you’re not relying on just that product. As you age your skin changes and is effected by your climate and stress levels, causing your “holy grail” products to not work as well as they used to. Don’t be afraid to try new products, your skin will thank you for it in the long run!

Sarina LoJacono is currently a senior at the University at Buffalo, majoring in communication. Besides attending school, she is also a manager at Alex and Ani Buffalo. She was born and raised in Buffalo, New York and loves everything the city has to offer. She is obsessed with everything and anything that has to do with fashion and beauty and aspires to be working in the industry one day. In her free time you can find her going out with friends, shopping or watching 10 Things I Hate About You over and over again. She is excited to take on whatever life has to offer!