This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buffalo chapter.

12. Sierra Burgess Is a Loser

Of course, you should know by now that every rom-com that Noah Centineo stars in will make my list of top rom-coms to see, so Sierra Burgess Is a Loser should be no surprise. This film is about a girl who receives a text from a boy who meant to text a more popular girl from her school after being given the wrong phone number. Shannon Purser’s character, Sierra, ends up falling for Noah Centineo’s character, Jamey, while “catfishing” him along the way, pretending to be Kristine Froseth’s character, Veronica. The recent Netflix film has gotten mixed reviews over the controversial plot about catfishing. Personally, I enjoyed the movie and the love story that the movie developed throughout the duration. Not only was the movie about the development of a love story but also an unexpected friendship. This feel good rom-com is available on Netflix.

11. 27 Dresses

27 Dresses, starring Katherine Heigl and James Marsden, is about a girl who has been a bridesmaid, you guessed it, 27 times; but has still never been the bride. Jane, who is in love with her unobtainable boss, plans all of her friends’ weddings, hence the 27 dresses, all while putting her needs aside. At a friend’s wedding she meets a cynical writer, cue James Marsden, who, to say the least, definitely does not believe in marriage and the magic that’s supposed to come with. Jane eventually gives Kevin a chance and realizes that it just might finally be her turn to be the bride. 27 Dresses is available on iTunes, Vudu and YouTube.  

10. A Cinderella Story

A Cinderella Story is a classic, I’m sure everyone has seen it one hundred times, but it is always a good one to add to the list of movies to watch on a rainy day. This classic rom-com is about Sam Montgomery, played by Hilary Duff, who is a high school senior, who is stuck living with her wicked stepmother. Sam meets a boy online and begins talking to him with the hope of meeting him at the Halloween dance, when she finds herself shocked about who the boy behind the screen name is. Starring Hilary Duff and Buffalo native, Chad Michael Murray, A Cinderella Story is available on iTunes, YouTube and Vudu.

9. Valentine’s Day

Valentine’s Day is one of my favorite rom-coms, so it’s definitely a must-see. This star-studded movie follows nearly a dozen couples all at different stages of their relationships to see how their Valentine’s Day unfolds. Some break up, some meet for the first time and others decide to spend the rest of their lives together; to find out who is falling in and out of love you’re just going to have to watch the film! Valentine’s Day is available on YouTube, Amazon Prime Video and iTunes.

8. Love, Simon

Love, Simon is a new rom-com that is making waves in the film industry. Love, Simon, starring Nick Robinson, also one of my favorite actors, is one of the few of it’s kind. This film stars a gay high school student named Simon, who meets a boy on his high school’s “gossip website.” The movie takes you through the ups and downs as Simon searches for the boy who he is falling in love with over email. Not only will you cry once Simon finds his love, but you’ll sob when he comes out to his family; seriously though, I cried about six different times during this movie and I’ve seen it three times. Love, Simon is available on YouTube and Amazon Prime Video.

7. When Harry Met Sally

When Harry Met Sally is on everyone’s list of their favorite rom-coms. This famous film is about two college graduates, Harry and Sally, played by Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan, who meet when Sally gives Harry a ride to New York from their college, The University of Chicago. The film follows the two and their quests to find love and their occasional run-ins. After running into each other various times the pair decide to befriend one another, while questioning whether or not members of the opposite sex really can “just be friends.” When Harry Met Sally is available on iTunes, Amazon Prime Video and Vudu.

6. You’ve Got Mail

You’ve Got Mail is another rom-com classic. This film is about two people, Joe and Kathleen, who fall in love over the internet. Little do they know, they are actually business competitors, whom in real life hate each other. Joe finds out who Kathleen is and falls even more in love with Kathleen, even though she still hates him. You’ve Got Mail starring Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan is available on YouTube, HBO Go and Amazon Prime Video.

5. Serendipity

The title of this film says it all. Serendipity is filled with all of the rom-com magic we love; it gives us all of the feels and magical moments we want to see when watching a rom-com. Serendipity, starring Kate Beckinsale and John Cusack, is about two people who meet in the bustling city of New York during Christmas time. The pair meet in Bloomingdale’s, where they reach for the same pair of black gloves and from there on out the rest is serendipity. This film is pure magic. New York City at Christmas time, the love the couple shares and the instances of fate that occur throughout the movie provide the audience with the most perfect form of an escape from reality. Serendipity is available on YouTube, Amazon Prime Video and Google Play.

4. How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days is the first movie most people think of when they think of romantic comedies. Benjamin Barry, played by Matthew McConaughey, is an advertising executive who is competing with two of his female co-workers for a huge campaign for a diamond merchant. Benjamin makes a bet with his competitors that the account is all his if he can make a woman of their choice fall in love with him in 10 days. Cue Andie Anderson, played by Kate Hudson, who in turn, is writing a story on how to lose a guy in 10 days as a bet with her boss, with the hope of writing more substantial stories for her magazine. Even with both of their goals in mind, their relationship becomes a bit tricky when some actual feelings begin to develop. How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days is available on Netflix, YouTube and Amazon Prime Video.

3. To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before

I won’t go into crazy detail about this one, even though it’s in my top 3, because I have already written an entire article about this perfect rom-com. If you want to learn more about this Netflix film check out the recent article! But, what I will say, is that Noah Centineo stars in the film and that just may be all you need to know. To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before is available on Netflix.

2. Sleepless in Seattle

Sleepless in Seattle is another classic rom-com if not one of the most famous romantic comedies of all time. Sam Baldwin played by Tom Hanks and Annie Reed, played by the queen of rom-coms, Meg Ryan, is about a man who is grieving his wife’s death and decides to relocate from Chicago to Seattle with his son, Jonah. Eighteen months later Sam is still grieving the death of his wife and is unable to sleep. On Christmas Eve, because of Jonah’s initiative, Sam ends up pouring his heart out on a national radio talk show about his perfect marriage to Maggie, and how much he misses her. Among the many women who hear Sam’s story and fall in love with him solely based on his heartfelt story, is Annie Reed. Annie is a Baltimore-based newspaper writer and finds herself infatuated with Sam’s story, even though she is already engaged. She takes the initiative to write to Sam proposing the idea to meet atop the Empire State Building for their first meeting…and the rest you’ll just have to see for yourself! Sleepless in Seattle is available on YouTube, Amazon Prime Video and Vudu.

1. 10 Things I Hate About You

Finally, I saved the best for last. 10 Things I Hate About You is my all-time favorite movie. Heath Ledger plays the most perfect high school bad ass that you’ll instantly fall in love with. 10 Things I Hate About You is about a high school student named Cameron who is a new student at Padua High. During his tour around the school, Cameron sees Bianca Stratford for the first time, who is a sophomore with one problem: she isn’t allowed to date. And neither is her older, tougher sister, Katarina. But Kat and Bianca’s dad changes his house rule…Bianca can date only if Kat has a date, too. Now, in order for Cameron to date Bianca, he has to find someone to date Kat. So Cameron’s friend, Michael, helps him recruit the help of pretty-boy Joey Donner, tricking him into thinking that he will get to take Bianca out if he pays someone to take out Kat. He chooses, Patrick Verona, a bad-boy with a mysterious and somewhat questionable reputation. Patrick Verona, played by Heath Ledger, will make you fall in love with him just like he does to Katarina. 10 Things I Hate About You is available on YouTube, Showtime and Amazon Prime Video.

Sarina LoJacono is currently a senior at the University at Buffalo, majoring in communication. Besides attending school, she is also a manager at Alex and Ani Buffalo. She was born and raised in Buffalo, New York and loves everything the city has to offer. She is obsessed with everything and anything that has to do with fashion and beauty and aspires to be working in the industry one day. In her free time you can find her going out with friends, shopping or watching 10 Things I Hate About You over and over again. She is excited to take on whatever life has to offer!