What Not to Wear: Halloween Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buff State chapter.

So you want to dress up for Halloween, huh? You want to go to that costume party and wow the boys? Before you go out to Party City and purchase a super sexy costume there are some rules you need to know when it comes it costume shopping. The number one rule is to choose your sexy. I know the usual goal is to show off the goods however you must choose what to show of whether that be your legs, bare shoulders, cleavage, or belly. The second rule is to make sure its figure flattering. Don’t follow trends. Just because a costume looks good on Jill doesn’t necessarily mean that it will look good on you. The third rule is to try on the costume to make sure its exactly what you are looking for, keeping in mind the rules above. And lastly accesorize to stand out and individualize your outfit. We all know no matter how hard you try there will be someone who may show up with your same costume. Acessories and makeup can really help you stand out in such an instance.

Now here’s a glimpse of what not to wear and some suggestions on what could work.

The Curious and Sweet Alice in Wonderland

DON’T!
Rule numero uno has been broken. Showing off the belly and bare shoulders is a bit much especially in Buffalo during this chilly time of year.

DO!
This costume can be figure flattering and also demonstrates rule one perfectly. With this costume you have chosen your legs and give a little peek-a-boo of them.

The Naughty Catholic School girl

DON’T!
Rule one has been broken in too many ways. This outfit shows off the belly and legs. Huge no no. This is not the s word we’re going for.

DO!
This is in compliance with all rules. Its sexy and smart. It also is well accessorized.

The Seductive French Maid

DON’T!
Ok, this one breaks rule number one and some rules that I didn’t even list. Unofficial rule – No lingerie as a costume. Collegiettes its ok to what to be sexy but appropriateness is a word that should be in the back of your mind.

DO!
These two variations of the French maid show rule off rule 4 and how acessories can really change the look of an outfit.

The Adventurous Robin Hottie

DON’T!
No words can describe this number. All rules have been broken, just don’t.

DO!
This is sexy without a doubt and absolutely cute.

Sherrell Gaillard is a senior Media Production/Journalism dual major at SUNY Buffalo State College. She is from Brooklyn NY and she loves to set her hands on anything creative and inspiring. Her likes include but not limited to reading, photography and writing to her novels on her spare time.