Social Media Site Flirting…is it real or are you imagining things?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buff State chapter.

Hey Buff Staters!

How many of you have been on a social media site and wondered if one of the people you were following was liking all your photos, favoriting all your tweets and poking you on Facebook as a subtle way to hint at them being interested in you? Well if your answer is yes you are not alone! We are going to try and decipher this topic.

Now a lot of people will say “it’s only Facebook, it’s only instagram these likes don’t mean anything” which can be true to an extent. If someone likes your photo that has never liked one before that could just mean they thought you looked nice in that picture. If someone consistently likes your photos all the time this could be one of two things…the first thing being you just take amazing photos all the time or the second thing being that’s their subtle way to maybe try to get your attention. If someone randomly likes a ton of your pictures out of no where (especially old ones) assume they’re checking you out and if they leave a few winky faces, hearts, and smiles they’re most likely interested. The same thing applies to Twitter.

If someone consistently favorites or retweets your photos or quotes them with hearts and smileys they’re probably flirting.

Now when it comes to Facebook flirting there’s the poke. There’s an 80% chance a poke on Facebook from someone you rarely talk to is them flirting half the time. No one really pokes anyone on Facebook so if someone takes the time in their day to sit and poke back and forth they most likely are interested in you.

Be aware that not every like or favorite means someone is flirting with you just pay attention to some of the typical signs…consistent likes/favorites, tons of lovey dovey emojis and comments, and the ‘poke’.

Image retrieved from :http://favim.com/image/851232/

Brittany Windham is a Senior at Buffalo State College in Buffalo, NY. She is studying Fashion Design with a concentration in Apparel Design. She is a New York City native with a love for the arts and anything that allows her to express her creativity. She is a published poet and a member of the Chi Alpha Epsilon Honors Society. She has worked alongside artist, designers, and students in New York City to promote environmental awareness through art with her participation in Digital Day Camp through the Eyebeam team. She is currently a member of the Orange Crush team on her campus and she one day aspires to have her own online store which recycles and reuses old accessories and clothing to create new ones.