Roommate Issues? Sabby to the Rescue

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buff State chapter.

My roommate and I have been having problems for a few weeks now.  She never cleans her side of the room up and leaves her dirty laundry everywhere.  If I bring people over, she becomes very withdrawn to the point where I take my guests outside so they do not feel offended by her coldness.  I have tried talking to her about this but she does not seem fazed by what I say nor does she want to change her attitude.  I have tried to be nice but it has gotten me nowhere.  I’m at the point where I’m considering moving to a new hall.  What should I do?
    -Kayla

Well Kayla this story sounds all too familiar to me.  My freshmen year of college brought me together with a girl we’ll call April.  At first I thought we would be best friends but soon discovered she was a manipulative, closed in, and a downright rude person.  After a few fierce spats, she moved out, I got a roommate who understood me, and we unexpectedly became good friends.
 My advice to you would be to ask her if anything is going on her life, family, money issues etc. and see if she responds.  If she still seems withdrawn, I would move out.  You do not want to be unhappy for a whole year in a room you are paying for.  Find out if any of your friends are looking for new roommates and speak to your RA about moving out.  My ex roommate moving out helped me to become more comfortable, social, and even happier with my new one.  Trust me, you’ll be a lot happier being the bigger person by moving out and moving on.  
Good luck!

XoXo
Sabby!