This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buff State chapter.

Halloween is almost here! So, let’s get into the mood, shall we? It turns out, Buffalo is a pretty spooky place. From our own local asylum to the Lancaster Opera House, it seems our city is a haunting ground for ghosts and ghouls of all sorts. Do you dare read on?

1.) Central Terminal

Built in the 1920’s, the Central Terminal was a functioning station until 1979, when it was abandoned. Many people have reported seeing floating orbs and vanishing spirits in the terminal’s gloomy depths. Ghost Hunters even did a show back in 2008 and managed to record a voice saying: “Go home!” We have one word for that: creepy.

2.) Holiday Inn

The Holiday Inn on Grand Island opened its doors in 1973. It’s said that a little girl was supposed to have died on the grounds there sometime during the 1800’s. Guests have claimed to have seen this little girl skipping down halls and jumping on beds. It’s supposed to be the most haunted building in the area. 

3.) Lancaster Opera House 

There were once two lovers – actors at the opera house, William and Priscilla. It’s said that these two frequently follow people through the halls and cause the lights to flicker. One man supposedly hanged himself in the tower, and here’s another spirit they call the Lady in Lavendar, who frequently haunts the balcony, as if she’s watching a performance.

4.) Old Fort Niagara Castle

Now, here’s a tale that’s truly chilling: legend has it that a headless man wanders the fort, searching for his missing cranium. All sorts of eerie noises echo in the air on this hallowed ground.

5.) Pigman Road

The famous Pigman Road. If the stories are true, then this place is truly gruesome. According to legend, Pigman Road is home to a serial killer – a butcher who wears a pig mask. People have claimed to hear pigs squealing in the dark here, just screaming. We don’t know about you, but we won’t be paying this sketchy road in Angola a visit any time soon.

6.) Shea’s Performing Arts Center

Oh, yes. Even our beloved Shea’s has skeletons in her closet. Or ghosts, rather. Michael Shea, builder and founder, built the theatre in 1925. He died shortly thereafter, in 1934, and it’s said that his ghost still haunts the place. Supposedly, he approaches people alone, says something polite, and disappears. So, it looks like we found our Casper – Michael the Friendly Ghost.

7.) Town Ballroom

The Town Ballroom was a speakeasy during Prohibition. Even Al Capone came to visit. The basement was primarily use for meetings, drinking, and gambling. If the tales are true, then to this day you can sometimes still hear the party going on downstairs. Now, these are some ghouls we’d like to meet!

8.) USS The Sullivans 

Ever see the giant battleship docked in Buffalo’s harbor? That’s the USS The Sullivans, a famous warship – and, allegedly, it’s haunted. It’s also open to the public. You can wander through the ship for yourself. The ship was named after five brothers who served during World War II. See if you can see the eldest Sullivan brother, searching the ship for his lost brothers, forever wandering the decks – a ghost. If that doesn’t scare you, maybe this will: people claimed to have seen images of burning bodies, and shadows haunting the hull.

9.) H. H. Richardson Complex

So, maybe none of this has scared you. But this might. Right in our own backyard: the H.H. Richardson Complex, an old, abandoned asylum. Built in 1870, this place would have embraced the horrific mental health practices condoned back in the day. People have claimed to hear bloodcurdling screams, seen shadows…it’s an eerie place. A standing monument to, maybe literally, the ghosts of the past. Right next to Buff State. How’s that for kicks?

Happy Halloween!