Fashonista’s Guidebook – Buffalo Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buff State chapter.

Okay gals, you know Buffalo is an unpredictable city (especially the weather!)  So you need to be prepared at all times with the essentials that every gal needs to live fashionable in Buffalo:

1. A heavy coat: Buffalo is known for its bad winters so it is always a good idea to have a coat in handy.  This season will be seeing lots of color; crimson, blue, neon orange so be sure to stand out in these colors and add a belt to make your coat unique.  You’ll be sure to stay warm and look cute!
  2. Winter boots:As said before, Buffalo snow can really put a damper on your style but that does not mean you have to look like unfashionable during the chilly months.  Combat boots with buckles, especially in navy greens and jet black  or knee high leather boots paired with skinny jeans can turn a drab outfit up for a late study date J
  3. Killer heels: Being in college gives us the chance to study hard and the chance to party hard!  Downtown Buffalo’s club scene has a spot for every genre but it is also important to stand out among the crowd.  Stilettos, especially nude and neon are huge this season or wedges with cheetah or zebra are also a huge trend.  However, if you are like me who can barely walk in heels opt for flats, preferably with a pattern.  Stay away from a solid color; remember you want to make your outfit stand out!
  4. Sweater dress:  Just because winter means temperatures dropping does not mean your fashion has to drop too!  Sweater dresses are always in style for the winter season.  If you are out to a party pick a dress with a neon color or a pattern such as stripes or hearts.  If you’re out to a conservative event opt for solid colors such as pale blue or the quintessential little black dress always works.
  5. Plenty of accessories:Everyone knows that accessories can make the outfit and that is no different in college.  Always being on the run you never know what event you will be at next or how to spruce up a dull outfit.  Even a pair of brightly colored chandelier earrings or a patterned oversized bangle can liven up any outfit so you can run to on campus events with a different look every time!
  6. A flowy maxi dress:  Although Buffalo has some bad winters, its summers are absolutely gorgeous!  Once the weather warms up a go to item is a loose, comfortable dress to walk to class in.  Floral and animal patterns are very popular but any maxi dress is always cute when styled with the right accessories!
  7. Oversized knit sweater:  A comfortable yet cute staple for the cold winters to come.  A knit top usually in neutral, gray tones look best when done with black legging and a pair of ankle boots.  This look can be done by anyone so do not feel you won’t look cute, you will!
  8. A cardigan or blazer:  Always handy!  The weather can change at a drop of a hat here so having a cardigan or blazer nearby can keep you warm and cute.  Opt for cardigans with stripes or solid colors like green or a bright fuchsia.  As for blazers, go for black, it goes with everything so you will always look trendy no matter what you are wearing now.
  9.  Skinny jeans:  Every gal has a pair of these in her closet and these jeans work on everyone!  Black or leopard skinnies look great with a pair of flats for a date or six inch stilettos for a night out.  No matter what skinny jeans go with everything, I mean EVERYTHING!

And of course…

1. Buffalo State hoodie:  Every gal needs this to throw on whether it is laundry day or an all night study session!  We can’t always be fashionable so the days we want to kick back we can slip into our sweats for comfort.

Here are some sites to check out for more trends and cute clothes!