Everyday Buff State Problems As Told by “Friends”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buff State chapter.

So, you’re enrolled at Buff State. Congratulations! Welcome to the crazy world of college. We live by Murphy’s Law here – if it can go wrong, it will go wrong. But you want to know something? If we can handle seven feet of snow, we can handle anything. So, we’re not scared of procrastination. Pop quizzes don’t worry us. Okay, maybe they do. But we like to face them with a giant cup of coffee and a Red Bull. We at Buff State know the struggle – and we know how to handle it. 

As college students, we’re eternally broke, hungry, and stressed. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg. So, without further ado, here’s just a little taste of what we face at Buffalo State every day.

1.) First, a problem all of us commuters can get behind. The parking situation – there’s never anywhere to park. My friends, this struggle makes the top of our list for a reason. You’ve seen them, you know them – you’re friends with them. Those poor young men and women who turn into vultures circling the parking lots, they have names, families, shame. But they do what they have to do. Survival of the fittest – or, at Buff State, the fastest. 

2.) Second is another commuter problem: parking tickets. If you drive to school, you know the struggle. There’s only so much parking to go around. Desperation will make a person do crazy things. That’s how we end up in faculty parking. We’re sorry…but we’re really not. What we’re sorry about is the $25.00 parking ticket slapped on our windshield. 

3.) Now, an issue for our friends who dorm: residential food. It’s…a little sketchy, right? To say the least. You don’t really know who cooked it or when it was made – but, hey, it’s edible, right?

4.) So, food. A great thing that just causes so many problems. Like – have you ever tried to find a seat in the Union after 12? Yeah, good luck. It’s packed, and every seat is taken. Unfortunately, the Union doesn’t take reservations. So if you want a seat, looks like you’re going to have to be like our commuter students and embrace your inner vulture. 

5.) While we’re talking about the Union – isn’t it fair to mention that there are never any napkins? You’ve just bitten into a nice sub and – oh gosh, there goes your shirt. 

6.) After you’ve finished your lunch, it’s time you hit the library to study, right? Right, because you’re a Grade A student. You’ve got all your books, your laptop, your notebook, a pen – you’re ready to hit up the Quiet Quad and do some serious work. Or not. Because is the Quiet Quad ever actually quiet? 

7.) Here’s a struggle we can all relate to: snow. Snow, snow, snow. We live in Buffalo, we know it’s coming- but are we ready for it?

8.) Forget snow for a minute. You know what’s already here, on campus? Wasps. And they’re everywhere. Hordes of them. It’s like some bad SyFy movie. They swarm the Union, the library, the quad – we just can’t escape those little hellions! The only advice we can give is this: run. 

9.) So, you’ve managed to find parking. You’ve eaten your lunch in the Union, and you’ve caught up on some studying in the library. And you’ve managed to escape the killer wasps. You’re exhausted. You need a nap. But, for goodness sakes, all your favorite spots are taken! What now?!

10.) Maybe instead of napping, you’ve decided to curl up somewhere cozy on campus and spend your break binge-watching your favorite show on Netflix. Awesome. Comfy chair? Check. Laptop? Check. Drink? Check. You’re all set. But wait – the WiFi cut out. Again.

11.) So, by now you’ve given up. You can’t nap, you can’t Netflix – what can you do? You can go to the bookstore and pick up your textbooks! Even though you know they’re ripping you off…but you need your books now. Google can only keep up with your classes for so long. We know it hurts, right in the wallet. We recommend clinging together for emotional support.

It’s a hard-knock life for us here at Buff State, but despite it all, somehow we manage to survive.