De-Stress Yourself: 5 Ways To Relax This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buff State chapter.

Stress is an inevitable, especially during college. No matter how much you try, there will be at least one thing that will stress you out. And it sucks. However, there are things you can do to relax and help lessen your worries. Here are five ways you can de-stress during the semester!

1. Take a breakBreaks are essential when you’re feeling stressed out. It helps you get away from your work and relax your mind. If you just keep going, you’re going to feel burned out and that’s NOT good. Take a break that includes eating your favorite snack or listening to relaxing music. You could also look up funny Youtube videos. Anything that will help you take your mind off your work for a bit. 

2. Go for a walk 

Being outside can definitely help lower your stress levels. It’ll help you clear your mind. Walk down the street to the coffee shop or in the park. Walk with friends or do it alone. Whatever you decide to do will help de-stress tremendously. Just make sure you’re not spending the entire time thinking about your worries. That’ll just make it worse. 

3. Watch your favorite TV show There is nothing like watching a television show or film that brings you joy and laughter. Next time you are feeling overwhelmed, step away and put on an episode of your favorite show. It’ll help bring you 20 to 45 minutes of happiness and will clear your mind for a bit.

4. MeditateThis is the best remedy to stress. Meditation will help lower your stress and anxiety levels. You’ll feel completely relaxed afterwards and ready to tackle anything that comes your way. The best way to meditate is in a silent room, away from any distractions. Close your eyes and sit with your spine straight; Breathe naturally and try not to let your mind drift to far. Do this for however long you like – 5 minutes, 30 minutes, or even an hour! You will see a difference the moment it ends.  

5. Take a day offEveryone needs a day off from school and work at some point. Sometimes, you just get overwhelmed and need a break that last more than an hour. Find a day when you’re free from obligations and do things that make you happy. Go to the spa, hang out in a cafe, explore a new town – whatever makes you happy! The most important thing is to stay away from anything that stresses you out. If that means you have the spend the entire day inside, binge-watching Netflix and drinking wine, then so be it. 

Alexandra Whitehead is a Senior at SUNY at Buffalo State. Originally from Virginia, she is majoring in Fashion Textile and Techonology with a concentration in Merchandising. She also has a minor in Theatre. Alexandra is a big advocate for the arts, taking great pleasure in literature, performing, and media arts. She also loves traveling and experiencing new things. In the Fall of 2014, she had the great opportunity to study abroad in London at Regents University. It was an amazing experience that taught her so much about herself and the different cultures around her. When she graduates, Alexandra aspires to be a film/television actress, owner of a eco-friendly fashion boutique, and owner of an animal rescue that saves feral cats and kittens from the streets.