The Best Snacks to Have While Studying

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buff State chapter.

When it’s time to study, you equip yourself with plenty to drink and eat. Eating snacks will keep you awake and give you the energy needed to study. However, the food you choose may hurt you more than it helps. If you load up on a bunch of junk food (i.e. salty and sugary snacks), it’ll cause you to become bloated, tired, and not in the mood to complete your work. There are food that will benefit you greatly; it’ll increase your brain power and help you focus on the material! Here are some snacks that you should definitely have the next time you study.

1. Blueberries

These pint-sized, blue treats can increase your concentration and memory, making it easier for you to remember everything while you study for your test. You can eat them fresh or try one of these cool recipes: Frozen Yogurt-Covered Blueberries and Blueberry Protein Shake

2. Nuts

Some nuts are very beneficial for your brain. Walnuts helps improve brain function and memory. Almonds are even better – they give you a boost of energy and help increase your intellectual levels. It’s the best brain food you can eat. Try this Cranberry Feta Walnut Salad (cranberries are also great for the brain) or any of these delicious Trail Mix combinations that includes almonds.

3. Greek Yogurt

Greek yogurt is amazing. It comes in an array of flavors and is packed with nutrients – it’s also very delicious. This healthy snacks helps improve brain activity. Eat it like it is or make your own yogurt parfait!

4. Dark chocolate 

Chocolate! Yes, chocolate does help your brain; however, it’s dark chocolate that improves your brain functions. It’s full of antioxidants and nutrients, which another great reason why you should eat it. Make Dark Chocolate Nut Clusters for a brain boosting snack!

Alexandra Whitehead is a Senior at SUNY at Buffalo State. Originally from Virginia, she is majoring in Fashion Textile and Techonology with a concentration in Merchandising. She also has a minor in Theatre. Alexandra is a big advocate for the arts, taking great pleasure in literature, performing, and media arts. She also loves traveling and experiencing new things. In the Fall of 2014, she had the great opportunity to study abroad in London at Regents University. It was an amazing experience that taught her so much about herself and the different cultures around her. When she graduates, Alexandra aspires to be a film/television actress, owner of a eco-friendly fashion boutique, and owner of an animal rescue that saves feral cats and kittens from the streets.