6 Ways To Give Back For The Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Buff State chapter.

During the holidays, we spend time with family, exchange gifts, eat delicious food, and have an all-around great time. But what about those who don’t get to those things? Giving back during this season is a rewarding experience that allows you to spread great cheer to those in need. Here are ways you can help out!

1. Donate toys to those who can’t afford them 

There are many families who are unable to afford toys for their little ones. You can go buy inexpensive toys and donate them to a charity, like Toys for Tots or a local shelter. 

2. Collect food and donate them to the food bank

Go around your neighborhood and collect food cans. Donate them to the food bank, a local shelter, or a church . 

3. Donate gently used winter apparel, like coats, gloves, hats

It’s getting colder outside, which means there are going to be people without coats to keep them warm. Gather gently used coars and donate them to organzations that give them to those in need. You can also donate gloves, hats, and scarfs!

4. Volunteer 

Volunteer your time this season. Helping out is one of the best things you can do. However, it doesn’t just have to be during this time of year. You can keep it up all year round! 

5. Do something nice for someone

A randam act of kindness can make someone’s day better – buy someone’s groceries, shovel snow from a neighbor’s walkway, leave an inspiring note on a stranger’s windshield! Whatever you do, just know it’ll be well recevied. 

6. Send holiday cards to troops

Active-duty military have to spend the holidays away from their families. Show them you care by sending them a handmade card. You can also make some for veterans! 

Alexandra Whitehead is a Senior at SUNY at Buffalo State. Originally from Virginia, she is majoring in Fashion Textile and Techonology with a concentration in Merchandising. She also has a minor in Theatre. Alexandra is a big advocate for the arts, taking great pleasure in literature, performing, and media arts. She also loves traveling and experiencing new things. In the Fall of 2014, she had the great opportunity to study abroad in London at Regents University. It was an amazing experience that taught her so much about herself and the different cultures around her. When she graduates, Alexandra aspires to be a film/television actress, owner of a eco-friendly fashion boutique, and owner of an animal rescue that saves feral cats and kittens from the streets.