This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Studying abroad has been one of the most valuable experiences I have had at Bucknell. I feel incredibly lucky to have been able to spend a semester abroad being that the year prior to me, no one was allowed to at my university because of the COVID-19 pandemic. I owe a lot to my study abroad experience. It not only influenced my career choices but how I am spending my last year at Bucknell.

I studied abroad in Tours, France with the “Bucknell en France” program. Tours is a city located in the center of France, about an hour from Paris by train. I heard once that it was estimated only 10% of my city spoke English. I would agree with that guess. However, I went into study abroad knowing I wanted to come out stronger in French in every aspect– speaking, comprehension, and being more culturally aware. I lived with a host family who became my best friends and I lived every day with a new appreciation for adventure that I never had before. While I am thankful to have grown up in the United States, I am still critical of the way nationalism was ingrained in me from a young age. I was taught to love America no matter what simply because I was born and raised there. After spending four months in France, I have a much more critical view of the United States. I began considering living somewhere else besides the US because of how much I enjoyed my time in France.

I have applied to two different programs that would allow me to teach English in France or Belgium in the Fall and I am awaiting the results. I am certain that if I did not study abroad, I would have never even considered these jobs and now they are likely going to be my reality in a few months. I have also become much more involved in the French department at Bucknell and because of this I have not only made lasting connections with faculty and fellow students, but I have also had so many experiences on campus I would have never had. I have eaten some of the best food I had at Bucknell because of my involvement with the French club. I have been teaching French to local children in Lewisburg for the past year which I have come to really love. Lastly, I have made connections with people that allow me to continue to learn French outside of the classroom, which I value so much now that I am not living in France.

Overall, studying abroad has changed my life in many ways and I am forever grateful to all the people, especially my host family, who made my time in France so special. I cannot recommend studying abroad enough, whether it be in France or any other country. You will likely not get the opportunity to live in a foreign country and call it school for a semester ever again. Please take advantage of it while you can!

Kendall is from central NJ and is a strong lover of a bacon, egg, and cheese on a sunny Sunday morning.