Why We Love Bad Boys: Inspired by Tim Riggins

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Finishing Friday Night Lights on Netflix was devastating. However, the most upsetting thing about it was not getting a daily dose of Tim Riggins (actor Taylor Kitsch). He is the quintessential “bad boy.” Some of the first episodes include Tim sprawled out on the couch with empty beer bottles everywhere and the gorgeous blonde, Tyra, buttoning her shirt and heading to school.  Lyla Garrity says it best, “You’re Tim Riggins. You show up drunk to school. You don’t do you’re own. You have rally girls do your homework for you. You don’t go to class. Your relationships last about 20 minutes. How am I supposed to take you seriously if you don’t take yourself seriously?” Tim could care less about his future. He is a man of the moment. He doesn’t plan; he just acts, and there is something incredibly sexy about it. Deep down inside, we all have a little crush on a bad boy. Whether it is a character in a show or movie or the boy who sits next to you in class, we all have a soft spot for them; but why? Let’s take a look at why we love bad boys.

They are indifferent. They give off this “don’t know, don’t care” attitude that makes us, girls, like them even more. The more a guy ignores a girl, the more she likes him. The more he shuts us out, the more we want in. The more Tim ignored Becky in season four, the more she wanted him even though he made it clear he wasn’t interested.

They aren’t (all) actually bad. Deep down inside, bad boys do care; they have dreams and goals like everyone else. They may not have serious, long-term goals yet; but at the very least, the short-term goal of winning the Panther football game. A goal is a goal. Bad boys just simply don’t publicize their dreams for the future. They leave a little mystery, which is exactly what attracts us to them. We want to be the ones who get close enough to find out what is going on under that messy hair.

They are mysterious. Bad boys have perfected the serious, pensive look; you know, that one. They constantly disappear and then reappear, often without notice, and it makes girls wonder what they have been up to.

They can be selfish. Bad boys put themselves first. They show up unannounced and cancel already set plans. They fit you into their schedule when it is convenient for them. Although this can be incredibly frustrating, it’s hard to be mad when they spontaneously appear. Tim would often abruptly leave Lyla mid-conversation as if he didn’t like the way things were going. Yet a few hours later, he would show up at her house unannounced looking to make up.

They rock the just woke up look. The less effort they put into their outfits, the better. You want to wear ripped jeans and a flannel for four days in a row? Tim Riggins certainly rocked it. On many occasions he is called out for only owning flannel shirts; but hey, why change something that works? For some, bad boys throwing on a leather jacket and standing next to a motorcycle simply does the trick. Plus, that bed head. Who wouldn’t want to run their fingers through that messy hair?

They have banging bodies. It could just be the movies … or some figment of imagination, but usually bad boys have impressive bods. This includes six-pack, v-shaped muscles and let’s not forget about the biceps. Tim was a football player; it was imperative he stayed in shape; hence the bod. And for some girls, a tattoo or two also completes the bad boy look.

They like to get their hands dirty. They are a man’s man; they don’t mind rolling under a car and getting grease all over their shirt. “Riggins’ Rigs” couldn’t have operated without Tim, and that wasn’t the only time he was fixing something. He also completed other tasks such as mowing the lawn, unclogging the drain or fixing pretty much anything that breaks (which is important because girls tend to break things … and need a big, strong man to fix their mess).

They are everywhere. You know that boy in your accounting class who shows up 10 minutes late everyday, completely disheveled, with nothing but a tattered notebook? When he plops down in the seat next to you and asks if he can borrow a pen, you know you can’t say no. He is a charming bad boy, so instead of losing your wits, you bite your tongue, nod your head and hand him that pen. You know you will be replaying the moment on constant repeat later.

We all can’t help swooning over bad boys. It is all these characteristics combined, their indifferent attitude and rolled-out-of-bed-disheveled look that make our hearts flutter. And hey, it’s completely okay to have a little crush on a bad boy. But they might sometimes make for a better fantasy or fling than a good boyfriend. Just remember, once a bad boy, always a bad boy.

Elizabeth is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in English and Spanish. She was born and raised in Northern New Jersey, always with hopes of one day pursuing a career as a journalist. She worked for her high school paper and continues to work on Bucknell’s The Bucknellian as a senior writer. She has fervor for frosting, creamy delights, and all things baking, an affinity for classic rock music, is a collector of bumper stickers and postcards, and is addicted to Zoey Deschanel in New Girl. Elizabeth loves anything coffee flavored, the Spanish language, and the perfect snowfall. Her weakness? Brunch. See more of her work at www.elizabethbacharach.wordpress.com