Why and How To Vote in Pennsylvania

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

WHY YOU SHOULD VOTE

Pennsylvania is a swing state, which means that both the Democratic and Republican parties have a similar amount of support among voters. Swing states are incredibly important in determining the overall result of an election, because ultimately they can decide who wins.

Chances are, you feel as if you’re just one person and your vote won’t make a difference. But that isn’t true, especially in Pennsylvania. Back in the 2000 election, when Al Gore and George Bush were running for presidency, they both needed the electoral votes from Florida, another swing state. After a recount of votes, Bush won Florida by just 537 votes, which was enough to give him the presidency. As a swing state, the people that voted in Florida determined what happened for the next four years.

Our generation is the most diverse group of voters. We have more power than any other generation to represent all racial, social, and economic backgrounds, so it’s important that we take advantage of this. The United States is representative democracy, and all people need to be represented to make the system work.

HOW TO REGISTER

There are three ways that you can register to vote: online, by mail, or in person.

Online

1.Go to register.votesPA.com.

2.Fill out the form and submit your application.

3.Use the application number to track your submission.

4.Get your voter registration card in the mail.

By Mail

1.Send your full name and mailing address to ST-VOTERREG@pa.gov.

2.You will receive form in the mail.

3.Fill out the form.

4.Send the form to your county voter registration office by October 11th.

In Person

1.Get the voter registration form from your county elections office.

2.Fill out the form.

3.Return the form to your county elections office by October 11th.

Use your voice and vote!!!

Sources:

http://democracyexperience.uncc.edu/10-reasons-to-vote

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/reasons-to-vote-in-elections_us_56c776e2e4b041136f16e9ad

What's up Collegiettes! I am so excited to be one half of the Campus Correspondent team for Bucknell's chapter of Her Campus along with the lovely Julia Shapiro.  I am currently a senior at Bucknell studying Creative Writing and Sociology.